oil pulling?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used to brush my teeth with straight baking soda. Hubby could not handle the taste, as much as he wanted to. so when I stumbled on that recipe and gave it a whirl, He was a convert. Me, I could do it without the stevia and flavour. REgular toothpaste made me gag, which is why I switched to BS. But to appease the hubbs, I added sweetness and flavour., It works for both of us. I think it was the foaming action of regular toothpaste that got me (made me gag)

yes stevia is a sweetener, that does not affect our teeth like sugar. Me, I could do without it. So, for you and your hubbs, you gotta experiment how much you will need. Maybe more--maybe less.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Very interesting!

I used to have a jar of coconut oil.. then somehow it was misplaced before we moved. :rolleyes:

I can't stand conventional toothpaste, makes me sick. Especially in the morning when it really matters.

How do you store/serve(?) the toothpaste after you've made it?

I'll also probably try oil pulling with the fiance. He's got some mouth issues, and the dentist just keeps charging and charging. If oil pulling can save him the $1000 root canal.. he's going to get swishing! He's got a pretty sensitive reflex though, so we'll see if he can handle it.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Interesting- I have used straight baking soda, but I am always looking for something that my SO will use. Right now she is on a Rembrandt whitening toothpaste kick (instead of hydrogen peroxide in the bottle). It tastes so chemical to me I can't stand it.

I don't think I need sweet- what about vanilla extract? How would you do cinnamon? grate it up and add powder?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How do you store/serve(?) the toothpaste after you've made it?
I have it in a jar, and we use the endof a fork to scrape a glob out. then put the glob (not big, about the size of a pea) in our mouth and brush as usual. In the summer, it was softer, but stil scoopable.

I don't think I need sweet- what about vanilla extract? How would you do cinnamon? grate it up and add powder?
All I could say is try it with a small amount of coconut/BS. I would tend to go the essetnial oil route, as opposed to extract or grated anything though. And if you did use cinnamon essential oil, I would think you would need at least some stevia to counteract the bitterness of the cinnamon.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never heard of oil pulling, but I'm willing to try this for better oral health.
I HATE going to the dentist.

Homemade toothpaste! Now we are talking - I haven't used thoothpaste in over 5 years.

Any mouth rinse?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I rinse with hydrogen peroxide...people think I've had my teeth whitened. Nope, just homemade toothpaste and peroxide rinse.

Swish for 30 seconds and spit. and spit. and spit. ;) It is worth it though. Sometimes I splash a drop of spearmint e.oil on my tongue.

I skipped this thread b/c I thought it was about petro! :lol: Glad I finally read it...oil pulling, interesting! I use the coconut oil/baking soda toothpaste with some spearmint e.oil. Straight baking soda made my teeth sensitive.

Coconut oil face lotion, baking soda shampoo, acv hair rinse and Merle's homemade goat milk soap, life is good. :p

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do ya'll homemade toothpasters do for bad breath? We use a combination of Dr. Christopher's Tooth Powder (all herbs) and baking soda, yet our breath is always stinky. (Oil pulling really helps, but we're out of coconut oil)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried to do this over the weekend, but it didn't go very well for me. It kept making me want to gag. :sick I can't get past the fact that I have a mouthfull of oil for some reason.

I have been using a mixture of baking soda, salt, peppermint extract, and vegetable glycerin to brush my teeth. I hated the taste at first. It's funny how accustomed I had gotten to the sweet taste of store toothpaste. But after using it for a while, I have gotten used to it. It works well and I haven't noticed that I have bad breath. But maybe my husband is just to nice to say anything. ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Crown, if your breath is always stinky and you are flossing, it is most likely not coming from your mouth.

What kind of foods are you guys eating?