oil pulling?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No problems with bad breath here.....the baking soda is a natural deodorizer, and the coconut oil has antibacterial properties.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup baking soda
several drops stevia powder (to taste)
several drops your preference of essential oil (peppermint, wintergreen cinnamon) (to taste)
stir together until baking soda is blended with coconut oil. Allow to cool.
I'm making this recipe after I run out of my current toothpaste :D I do get non flouride natural ones but I think I'll like this better.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know we don't floss like we should, but I don't think it's that bad.

We try to eat a pretty healthy diet, we try to follow WAPF guidlines, only we also try to eat salads 2 times a day, but we can't always afford that. We eat around 90% Organic or Organically grown.

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. We already make our own toothpaste (dry) which is just baking soda, salt, Xylitol, and some wintergreen e.o.

Does this work? Has anyone noticed a difference after doing this?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A difference in what? I have been to the dentist twice now since using this, and no new cavities. Hygienist does not have to work too hard. Don't have badf breath, (not that i did anyways, as far as I know) My teeth feel great, every one loves it, it saves us money, and there is no nasty chemical in it.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Seems like the bad breath comes from two things at my house: not flossing, and teeth in need of work. Sometimes, old fillings or crowns will have soft teeth under them that give a sort of rotten smell, no matter how much tooth-brushing is done. Eww. Ironically, as freaked as I am of needles and hospitals and despise traditional medications, I've never minded dentists. Just can't always afford them!

swedishrose

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
CrownofThorns: bad breath can be caused by tartar build up. Which in turn is caused by a nutritional imbalance. Common deficiencies frequently include fat-solube vitamins, A and D are needed in quite large quantities. Among many other factors, of course.

If you have tartar build-up you can use a blotting toothbrush to remove it from the gum line and below it. Normal toothbrushing and flossing actually pushes tartar underneath the gum line. I just learned about this so I haven't yet gotten my hands on one of these brushes, but plan to soon. An oral irrigator is good for this too.

I recommend reading Ramiel Nagel's Cure Tooth Decay. He's put together a wealth of information from dentists like Weston Price and Melvin Page, among others. Nagel also recommends oil pulling for dental problems. After reading this thread I think I'm going to give it a try. Swishing for such a long time sounds exhausting, but I'm sure any time will be better than none.