Oils

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does any one here make their own oil for cooking or other things?

Canola grows where I am and I wonder how much of it takes to make cooking oil. I also have some beautiful Jasmine in full flower right now and am interested in making that into some sort of aromatic oil for use for the lovely fragrance.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sunflowers are an easy oil project- no special processing required- just press the seeds. I understand that rape seed (what canola comes from) is toxic until processed and I have no idea what special processing is needed. I bought this from Lehman's years ago, but so far I haven't had the time to actually use it. https://www.lehmans.com/product/hand-cranked-oil-press
1600298006563.png

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sunflower oil came into my mind after I posted this :) That would be a much easier thing to grow in limited space. Probably all round a more versatile plant.

I found a few infused oil ideas for the jasmine but I think I have already tried many of them with no luck so maybe I will just enjoy the flowers while they are around. I grab a new bunch to bring inside every morning. Drying has never worked for me with them either, its still humid at this time of year and everything molds.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't throught of making my own oil. I do follow the principle that if I couldn't conceivably make it at home, I shouldn't injest it.

I do use butter, animal fats which I render myself, or saved bacon grease. Only oil I ever buy and use regularly is olive which definitely won't grow where I am.

I prefer sweet almond oil for most herbal oil infusions. It has a neutral scent and is the traditional carrier oil for massage because of that.

If you have a nut tree you could press those for oil as well. I tried hazelnut bushes but they died. I've been meaning to try a different spot in a raised bed. Too much water over winter tends to be a killer here.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't think of animal fat! Good thinking. My drakes are very, very fat animals. I'd only use them in a dire situation, but its good to have that info.

I'm not sure which nuts would grow here. Its a battle to keep the birds off fruit so it could be challenging. I had olives at my last place but I am not sure about where I am now. Less rainfall and more extreme temps.

I use more butter in cooking than any oil too, but with the fields of bright yellow canola right now, it sparked my interest. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know almonds will grow in our area, so they would grow almost everywhere, lol. You could use the same oil press as I pictured for that too. I read that about 40# of BOSS will yield a gallon of oil, which is a normal year's supply for most families. Not sure how many plants that would come out too, but... they grow fast.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Latest posts