OK...Christmas trees....cut, live, fake...or none at all?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We get a real tree. I am not opposed to buying a fake one though I hate re-purchasing a tree every year, but I do love the fresh scent!

A favorite tradition of ours, is each Christmas eve everyone in the family gets to open one present, it is always their new ornament, and we hang them all on the tree and admire them before going off to bed. With 4 kids ages 4-17, you can imagine we have a lot of ornaments! We can't even put them all out every year. When we decorate the tree it is so fun to look thru all of the ornaments one by one and read what is written on them :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We had a huge fake tree for many yrs & then it was really sad looking one yr & we decided that was the end of that one. When ds#2 was little we bought the small potted live trees to replant(which dh never did). Then we got a big live tree one yr & boy was our small house crowded! The next yr we got a fiberoptic 5 ft tall tree & they are neat! I bought some inexpensive tiny ornaments to go on it at Walmart. Last yr we used smils little 3 ft tree up onto the entertainment center to keep little hands out of it. We will use the little tree up again this yr as her hands are still into everything! But we will also put the fiberoptic tree up somewhere(without the ornaments).
For the outside we line our front fenceline with the solid old fashioned big bulb lights & then we have other lights we put across the front of our house(although this one is bigger so I am not sure we have enough now. We had a big barrel catus outfront we wrapped in blinking lights but it fell over so no more. And dmil had a decrotive windmill that we wrapped in lights(the base) in too. Yrs ago dh made a santa in a sleigh & a couple of reindeer out of plywood that we will put up with a red & green spotlight. Plus he used the scraps to cut out candycanes too. I want him to paint me a mural on plywood that we can put up outside that is baby Jesus in the manger with Santa kneeling before him with his cap off. That way I cover both bases & let everyone know that even Santa knows the reason for the season. I also want to make Christmas trees out of plywood that are 2 dementional & have openings for ornaments that wwe can make like a little Christmas tree forest out of.
We also have a nativity scene that is actually the first decoration to go up in our house. I have lighted garlands that I put up over my kitchen cabinets in the old house & I may need to buy another one as I have three walls with cabinets now. I have hand towels for both bathrms with Christmas on them, potholders & dishtowels in my kitchen! Every rm gets the Christmas touch in my house! I just love Christmas. I also love to browse the aisles at the stores, but rarely ever buy anything new, just bulbs & i usually buy them at the end of the season at discounts.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We used to do live trees and then plant them in the yard. My sis did this when she bought her place years ago and now has some very beautiful, long-needled pines in a row by her driveway. If I had lived somewhere for all my life, I would have liked to have done this also. Then a person could mark Christmas memories by the trees in the yard and create a bird habitat at the same time!

The scrub cedars are nuisance trees in all the pastures round about and are big water suckers, by all reports, so I don't feel too badly about eliminating one every so often. And, of course, they are FREE! They make great little Charlie Brown trees for the porch.

My living room isn't big enough for a tree inside, so the nativity scene, as usual, is the focus of our living room. Like Koxxx, we have made it our family tradition to place gifts around it instead of a tree. It actually looks better along with the "homespun" look of my gifts that I wrap in brown kraft paper and jute or ribbon. I like garnishing my gifts with sprigs of pine or other natural items such as berries, dried herbs and flowers, etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We usually have a live tree. It seems every year the price is going up and up. We have a vaulted ceiling in our family room so usually buy a really tall tree. If not it just looks to small. My DH has a 7 ft pre lit fake tree. He puts it up on a plant shelf 10ft off the ground. Maybe it should be our main tree this year. I am looking into new led tree lights. Suposed to save a ton of electricity. This is our first year with a kitten and a Christmas tree, it should be fun.
My husband built a fireplace mantle a couple years back. It usually gets greens and stockings. I use white hanging twinkle lights all the way around our porch.
Every year I promise myself a Nativity and never get it. I highly doubt this will be the year. Maybe I can find one the kids and I can paint ourselves. That would be great memories.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have to have a balsam fir, although it can be a cheap one (in the sense of misshapen, not in the sense of needles-all-falling-off). To me, the smell of balsam fir IS christmastime :) I justify it as a) buying a local, renewable crop <g> and b) I use the cut-off boughs as mulch and wind protection for garden plants after we take the tree down.

Pat

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a fake one. I hauled it to work and we decorate it there. My ceilings have been put back to the original 9' hgt. I take advantage of that with a real tree. I do not mind the pine needle mess LOL, I am still vacuuming needles up in July.

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:frow I have 3...well, at this parsonage I put up 2 trees... they are fake. I grew up with real trees...love the smell...
soooo, I put up my fake trees, and decorate with real cedar...etc...in wreaths, flower arrangements, etc...
I have one tree that is always the same theme...I call it my "family" tree. It is handmade ornaments, things I've collected, my children have made, friends, family, and myself. Always something more each year.... :)
The tree I put up in my DR is more formal...and changes...for the last 2 years I've been using only crystal and silver on this tree...adding to the collection.
and my 3 tree...is no more...don't have the space here...
but I put it in my foyer...it was decorated with red balls, ribbons, etc..and covered with all things lovely red.
Oh, and I love bells...and pretty much nonstop Christmas carols...
I have a few other 'traditions' but that is for my trees.
Outside...well, I had an outdoor tree a coupla years...but the Rev. got tired of all my moving...and no shrubs were big enough...(we don't have a tree close to us down here... :/)
I'm wishing for a 'siloutte' nativity set...I don't have the space for a 3-D...but I saw one that is just board cutouts in siloutte...with a spotlight on it...LOVED it! they had added hay etc. plus...easy to store.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Both hubby and I are not big into holidays or anything like that. We were together for 5 years before kids, and didn't get our first tree until oldest was two.

I absolutely detest holiday decorating, hate lights (putting them up--so i have an artificial, prelit tree.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
About two weekends before Christmas we will go to a local tree farm and cut a tree. We also have a small silver artificial tree that my son puts up in his room. I had one like it when I was little. Mine was probably full of lead! Yikes!
For decorations we use what we have collected over the years. It's a mixture of things we've picked up, been given or made. We usually use our wooden bead garland that looks like cranberries. We have several sets of lights and usually I get to choose which ones we use. Just based on what I'm in the mood for that year. Angel on top. Nativity on the mantel so the cats don't break it. We also have the Fisher Price nativity that we put under the tree. Even though our son is 6 he'll ask for it.
We have used a fake tree if we have been gone for long periods of time. I worry about the tree drying out.
If we had room to plant it, I'd buy a live tree rather than cut one, but we don't here. I prefer a fir too for the scent, but I had one cat that required a blue spruce to keep her out of it! Ouch!