OK...Christmas trees....cut, live, fake...or none at all?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So...how many still string popcorn and cranberries and put it out for the birds when you're done? :D My grandma used to do this every year on the trees in her yard.

I made wreaths incorporating some sunflower heads for my fence last year and the birds and flying squirrels went crazy for them! I haven't seen many birds at the feeder so far this year. Last year I had plenty of birds of all kinds.....just a few Juncos and Jays so far. :(

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Fake tree here too. I got it when I went to a tree lot and the cheapest tree they had was $50- yikes. I love decorating the tree- hanging ornaments etc.

My mom told me about her early Christmases where they didn't have electric lights- candles instead. The grownups would light the candles while a couple of the men stood around with buckets of water just in case. The kids came in and everyone oooo'd and aaah'd for 5 minutes then the whole thing was doused. I still put the christmas candles on the tree but they are never lighted. They give the tree a nice verticle line though.

The birds would not like the glass "cranberries" that are on the fake tree though. Maybe I'll get some bird treats this year to put up on the fence.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So...how many still string popcorn and cranberries and put it out for the birds when you're done? :D My grandma used to do this every year on the trees in her yard.

I made wreaths incorporating some sunflower heads for my fence last year and the birds and flying squirrels went crazy for them! I haven't seen many birds at the feeder so far this year. Last year I had plenty of birds of all kinds.....just a few Juncos and Jays so far. :(
We are going to do this for the first time with ds#2 this yr. I used to do it with my mom & brother when I was a kid. Since we will have more time this yr we will make one. I also plan on going to the tree lots & asking for the cut off branches to make some swags this yr.