OK, folks, I think we need to have a discussion about MUSCOVEY DUCKS!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
This is the first year I'll have my 'scovies for the laying season. Last year it was July when I got mine, and they didn't set a nest at all.

I am hoping that my drake (not named yet) gets busy and that Dash Jr. and my other duck (who's also not named yet) will decide they want to be Mama's.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a few scovy hens this year. Hoping to use them to produce mules and to set Cayuga eggs. LOL

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine layed eggs barely bigger than chicken eggs. I imagine that differs though. And they are white.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've wondered about getting them for several years now. But how do you all keep them from just getting et by raccoons?

We have no pond-with-an-island or anything else predator proof like that. I would be quite willing to lock them into a duck house at night but it sounds like they are more apt to want to go camp out somewhere else and then surely some of our five billion raccoons would eat them?

Also, if there *is* a solution to the raccoon problem, can you guess whether they would stay in the horse pastures etc, or would they be wandering around the lawn pooing where the kids are playing all the time, do you think?

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Quail! how fun to the Dash Jr.!! she looks just like her brother, DJ!

we love the ducks too... especially the white ones, which are not ugly... Dash is the most beautiful girl i've ever seen.

WZ - thanks for the link! i believe they are a huge problem in Florida... but wow!

as for predators, we lock ours up at nite - especially in the winter. the only losses we've had were when the pond has frozen over and the foxes have snatched them. a couple of hard workin' farm dogs keep all the predators away... and an ironically named hav-a-hart trap which makes for an easy target to blast those stupid raccoons back to Valhalla.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I've wondered about getting them for several years now. But how do you all keep them from just getting et by raccoons?

We have no pond-with-an-island or anything else predator proof like that. I would be quite willing to lock them into a duck house at night but it sounds like they are more apt to want to go camp out somewhere else and then surely some of our five billion raccoons would eat them?

Also, if there *is* a solution to the raccoon problem, can you guess whether they would stay in the horse pastures etc, or would they be wandering around the lawn pooing where the kids are playing all the time, do you think?

Pat
I know we have predators around here, I have just never seen them on or near my property. That being said, when I got my muscovies in early summer last year, as just wee things, I was able to keep them contained. As they got bigger, and we introduced them to the pond, they would go to the pond during the day and come in at night. then they discovered they could fly. That's when they decided to stay at the pond even during the nights. They would come to the barn for feeding time, and then take off again. I think, with the pond for a bit of safety, and the fact that they can fly, willl help them in the predator department.

If you wanted to, you could contain them at night, as in feed them in the barn and then lock em up. They also will roost. In your situation, you could try keeping them in the horse fence and bring them in at night. also, you take advantage of one of your really low spots, ;) and dig it a bit deeper, while they don't need alot of water, mine loved the pond in the summer, and it sure did reduce the feed bill. As for their poop plops, chicken poos are more noticeable, except when it is on the cement. Ducks poop is much more water-y, so on the grass, it just kinda soaks in, whereas chicken poop sits there on top.

go on Pat, get those muscovies !:D You'll be glad you did!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have any muscoveys, but I did pick up a Muskogee duck recently at a poultry auction.

At least, that is what the auctioneer said it was.

He was from Oklahoma, I think.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OMG this stinks! It's now illegal to acquire Muscovies after March 31, 2010 - anyone who currently owns them is grandfather lawed in, but you're not allowed to let them breed unless you're raising them for meat only.

How stupid is THAT?!

So, are they now going to offer spay/neuter programs for our 'scovies?!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW! I knew that muscovies were invasive, but I didn't realize the extent. Around here I have only ever seen 1 loose on the river and it belonged to someone and went home at night. Well most people keep them for meat anyway and don't release them into the wild, which I think it is already illegal for any domestic animal. I just don't look for it to be a major thing unless you live in an area where there is a problem.