OK, folks, I think we need to have a discussion about MUSCOVEY DUCKS!!

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I used to have 'scovies - the white ones with the red heads. The male was scary looking but the females were beautiful.

Then the fox moved in.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Muscovies are hard enough to find ANYWHERE in MN - Now they are making them illegal because they are 'invasive'?? Hogwash I tell you.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes Pat, I realize that - I'm saying its hogwash to have that law in MN, where there are only a hand-full of breeders who keep their Muscovies confined.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I was thinking about this today, and I'm wondering if it's going to affect Ohio - since Ohioans passed Issue 2 last fall, we have our own Livestock Care Board in our State Constitution. Federal laws do not supercede (I think this is the right word?) State Constitutions, correct?

So, for Ohioans, Unless our new Livestock Care Board bans our keeping of 'scovies, I think we're safe? :hu

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I was thinking about this today, and I'm wondering if it's going to affect Ohio - since Ohioans passed Issue 2 last fall, we have our own Livestock Care Board in our State Constitution. Federal laws do not supercede (I think this is the right word?) State Constitutions, correct?

So, for Ohioans, Unless our new Livestock Care Board bans our keeping of 'scovies, I think we're safe? :hu
Federal laws ALWAYS supersede state laws. Also, the Federal constitution always supersedes the state constitutions. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There is a whole thread on scovies over on www.backyardchickens.com. I think the regulation was put on hold and now it is being revised. I don't know what the final outcome was.

If I wanted them I would get them. If anyone asked, I would just tell people they were rare Peruvian Ground Parrots and then "Get out of my yard!" :D

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There is a whole thread on scovies over on www.backyardchickens.com. I think the regulation was put on hold and now it is being revised. I don't know what the final outcome was.

If I wanted them I would get them. If anyone asked, I would just tell people they were rare Peruvian Ground Parrots and then "Get out of my yard!" :D
Perfect, now to find some around here, that is the problem.