OK, I'm going to do it. I am now addicted to it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm going to learn how to sew. I bought a basic Brother sewing machine at Walmart today for $70.

I've always hand stitched what little I did sew.

I probably won't learn how to make clothes right away. But, I do like the idea of making napkins or aprons or even baby items.

Today at Goodwill, I found navy and ecru plaid curtain toppers. They are just the right width to make napkins from. I think I can get 6-8 out of them. I want to give them in a basket with some BBQ items as a birthday gift. If I can finds some navy material, I might even whip out an apron to go with it.

Also, if you have some easy ideas that would be good for a beginner, let me know. :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Awesome!!! I can't wait to see pictures!! Make sure you take pics before you cut up the material and then how it turns out!
Don't forget to make some hankies too! Flannel receiving blankets are great for hankies!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
You can also go to JoAnn's when they are having their .99 pattern sales (they go on sale all the time for .99 so watch for the sale and do not pay more) and pick out something that looks easy to do! A purse or bag would be easy to do too. Turn old jeans into squares and make a blanket or a purse.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can make just about anything once you learn a straight stitch on your machine. Simplicity makes some very simple patterns. I mean really easy. Just be sure to read the basics on your machine, bobbin winding, etc..

You will on your way in no time. Have fun.

Oh, thanks for the Joanne's link.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never took to sewing.

I think I will try my hand at knitting. I kinda am interested and know at least I can make a monster afghan or something for the cold days!

More power to you! Hope you are SEW crazy about sewing..:lol:

Let us know what you get accomplished. Last time I tried a sewing machine it had a bobbin and that thread was all piled up and knotted and what a mess. I go near a machine I ruin it..LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Napkins are a great way to start. You will learn to stitch straight lines and miter corners, two basic skills.

Just don't fuss too much, remember nothing has to be perfect (something I have to remind myself of constantly!) and no one will notice the little mistakes. Especially remember that when mitering corners!

I have a bunch of napkins cut out from an old flannel sheet that are waiting by my machine to be hemmed. They will be for everyday use and to pick up spills and reduce need for paper towels.

You go, girl! :thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is great! I would like to learn as well...I am very short on patience and like quick results though. Good luck on your sewing adventure!

FC...you may want to try crochet, it is much easier and gives quicker results than knitting.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
As far as making your own clothes, it is often much cheaper now to buy them off the clearance rack. Years ago you could make your own for less, but so few people sew anymore, the supplies are getting more expensive and harder to find, and the fabrics that are available are not as nice as the ones that are used in ready-made clothing.

Unless you live near a good salvage store that gets bolt ends from a clothing or fabric manufacturer. I used to, and made all kinds of great stuff. I could get real Malden Mills polar fleece for a song and made horse blankets and all kinds of hats, scarves, vests, etc for myself. I could get stuff like GoreTex and linen and specialty fabrics.

I have done quite well in the past by re-making clothing, using fabric from freebies or stuff that would've been thrown away. For example, a stained turtleneck has enough fabric for a great summer tank. A man's shirt with pink paisleys will yeild a fun blouse and of course, no man ever wore the shirt, so the fabric is new. And free.

I make an occasional dress or top because it is hard to find dresses that fit me that are also washable and modest, and summer tops that are not cut too low. But I mostly sew window treatments, napkins, all kinds of coats for my poodle who gets frequent haircuts even in winter, and presents for friends. I make cloth bags, too, including luggage-type stuff from upholstery fabric which comes on sale at Joann's for quite cheap!

There are many things you can make and enjoy without getting too complicated, is my point, and save money in the process. And have the satisfaction that comes with creating something yourself. :D