OK, I'm going to do it. I am now addicted to it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Very simple PJ's are really easy, pick up one of those Kwik Sew patterns for PJ pants, VERY SIMPLE.

They're only supposed to take like 30 minutes to complete, we made them at school when I took Fashion, I was taught how to sew by my mum when I was little so I knew what I was doing, but for everyone else it was the first time and everyone's turned out really nice.
Thanks, Lupine.
That's a really great idea for me. I hate paying $10-12 for pajama pants and I am not a gown person.:rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great job on the bag!! I know the feeling of getting nothing done because you are so involved in a project. I am currently in apron hog heaven. Keep up the good work. :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow Punkin, you really caught on fast didn't you:>) Great purse and handbag! I really have to try sewing stuff besides quilts...you're my inspiration ;)

Just gotta get that skidoo quilt finished...

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yup, I'm going to resurrect this thread. Ha. Anyway, I work at JoAnn's, and will be the first to say that sometimes it just doesn't pay to buy fabric by-the-yard to make cloths. But sometimes it does. Watch for when clearance (red tag) goes half off. For example, if it was clearance for $4.00, it will now be $2.00. The original price could have been $9.99, or $12.99. I can make an A-line skirt for one yard of fabric. Dig through the remnant bin. Wait for sales! Sometimes notions (pins, needles, elastic, snaps) will go half-off. Same with thread. If you're willing to do a little careful shopping, it's worth it. Here's some examples of when it (usually) will pay off to make something.

Baby clothes.
Children's clothes.
Re-upholstering dining room chairs or boat seats
Straight skirts
Straight dresses
Wedding supplies (table toppers, wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses)
Ice skating or horse show costumes.

Some of those are pretty specific, but I've seen many a thing, and thought it might be helpful. :cool:

My store is directly next to a Goodwill, and many times I'll go to Goodwill FIRST. They have great deals. Bedsheets, curtains, throws... They're cheaper than buying fabric at my work. I also have to agree with another post that commented on the quality of by-the-yard fabric going downhill. Yeah, it's sad but true. Since I work there, I can tell the better quality fabrics and only get them. So anyway, happy sewing!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
You work at J's!! :bow That is one of my favorite stores!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips!!!!

A couple more tips for shopping at Joann's.....subscribe to the online newsletter and you will have coupons e-mailed to you, online and in-store coupons that you can print out. I always print out several and pass them out to other customers when I am in the store. If I am in the area more than once during the coupon period, I will stop in more than once, and only buy one item on each trip.

Also, look in the bargain bins. I just went in for velcro for men's incontinence supplies.....(I sew the loop side to the tighty-whities and the hook side to the pad, which looks more like an even footprint than a woman's pad, but about the same length, and is worn higher....only for mild leakage) and I planned to use my 40% off any item coupon, but found store brand velcro for $0.99 in the bargain bin.

Be sure to tell the cutting table person that you are using the fabric for clothing in states where there is no tax on clothing. Even if it is upholstery fabric, let them know you are using it for clothing. And many upholstery fabrics are 100% cotton and VERY good quality, and the sizing washes right out. I use it for clothes, too, when appropriate. It can be very cheap, as hennypenny said, on the half-off clearance.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Thanks for the great tips!!!!

A couple more tips for shopping at Joann's.....subscribe to the online newsletter and you will have coupons e-mailed to you, online and in-store coupons that you can print out. I always print out several and pass them out to other customers when I am in the store. If I am in the area more than once during the coupon period, I will stop in more than once, and only buy one item on each trip.

Also, look in the bargain bins. I just went in for velcro for men's incontinence supplies.....(I sew the loop side to the tighty-whities and the hook side to the pad, which looks more like an even footprint than a woman's pad, but about the same length, and is worn higher....only for mild leakage) and I planned to use my 40% off any item coupon, but found store brand velcro for $0.99 in the bargain bin.

Be sure to tell the cutting table person that you are using the fabric for clothing in states where there is no tax on clothing. Even if it is upholstery fabric, let them know you are using it for clothing. And many upholstery fabrics are 100% cotton and VERY good quality, and the sizing washes right out. I use it for clothes, too, when appropriate. It can be very cheap, as hennypenny said, on the half-off clearance.
Yes to everything! I had no idea some states had no tax on clothing!

Here's one more thing I do: After I buy a pattern, I cut it out, and lay it down. Then I see how much fabric I really need. Some patterns make you buy lots more fabric than you need. I can get a fleece coat from a little less than two yards of fabric. The pattern calls for like 2.667 yards. I get the fleece half off, so here's how much it'll cost me. $4.49 for solid color fleece. $1.50 for a zipper (with coupon) and lets assume I already have thread. 1.875 yd x 4.49= $8.42+$1.50=$9.92. Now maybe I could find a fleece coat cheaper at Goodwill, but they don't always have something that fits me. :p It feels like I'm wearing a blanket. Much softer then I've found used, since fleece somethings pills up.