Ok, so talk to me, please, food guru's - calorie counting etc.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you need to figure out the carbs, calories, protein or fats in a food, go to www.fitday.com

It's free.

If you need to see why diet is more important than exercise, read this...
http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

I am not saying don't exercise, I am just pointing out that exercise will not make a lot of people thinner. It never helped me lose weight. Stamina, flexibility, energy....YES. Weight loss? Nope.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
(sorry, I am obsessing)

HAd to go look up Atkins, my only issue here is that these two paragraphs should be switched (IMO) as many veggies as you can find room for and round things out with 3 servings of protein per day. He also seems to have a problem with yogurt and cheese :rolleyes:

Atkins info:

Free Foods

A nice juicy steak is allowed on the Atkins Diet
The following foods may be eaten without concern for quantity--eat until you are satisfied:

Meat: all unprocessed meats, including beef, pork, lamb, veal, mutton, venison, and ham. Bacon is allowed if it is not processed with sugar; if nitrite-free bacon is available, it is preferable.
Poultry: any unprocessed poultry, including chicken, turkey, goose, duck, cornish hens, pheasant, quail, ostrich, or emu.
Fish: all unprocessed fish, including tuna, salmon, catfish, trout, snapper, sole, sardines, herring, and any other fish.
Shellfish: any unprocessed shellfish, including oysters, clams, crab, shrimp, calamari, lobster, mussels, and scallops. Imitation crab or other imitation shellfish products are forbidden.
Eggs: any real eggs are allowed, including chicken, duck, quail, or goose.
Vegetables

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution divides vegetables into two groups: salad vegetables and other vegetables.

Salad Vegetables: Any lettuce, including iceberg, romaine, Bibb, escarole, mache, raddichio, arugula, and endive. In addition to the lettuces, leafy herbs (such as dill, thyme, basil, oregano, and cilantro) and many other vegetables are listed as "salad vegetables." These other vegetables include bok choy, chives, cucumber, fennel (anise), parsley, celery, peppers (hot or sweet), radishes, daikon, sprouts, mushrooms, olives, and jicama are all considered salad vegetables.

Other Vegetables: Among the other vegetables allowed on the Atkins plan are asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, tomatoes, onions, summer squashes (yellow, pattypan, and zucchini), okra, turnips, avocado, brussels sprouts, leafy greens (mustard, turnip, beet, collards,) broccoli, celeriac, and artichokes. In fact, just about any vegetable you might wish to eat is permitted, with the exception of corn, potatoes, green (English) peas, and other sweet or starchy vegetables.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I will have to go to the library to be able to view all the links ya'll posted. The proxy on the kids' school computers will not let me view them. The kids' school computers is the only online access I have at home right now.

eta: I should have no problem with eating the good foods, as they are all things I like. I just need to re-train myself to eat the other things in moderation.

Wife - muscle tone and stamina are the main reasons why I'm wanting to exercise more. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If you need to figure out the carbs, calories, protein or fats in a food, go to www.fitday.com

It's free.

If you need to see why diet is more important than exercise, read this...
http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

I am not saying don't exercise, I am just pointing out that exercise will not make a lot of people thinner. It never helped me lose weight. Stamina, flexibility, energy....YES. Weight loss? Nope.
I agree completely.

I lost about 13 pound just by cleaning up my diet.

I have been swimming nearly 6 mile per week since mid Feb. running 3 or so miles the last few weeks, and riding a bike 10-15 miles a week the last several weeks...... I lost an additional 2 lbs. :rolleyes: this after being completely sedentary. I feel great, and my body is looking pretty good, but all this exercise has not affected my weight.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
here is a glimpse: Keep GI foods under 55 and the GL under 10
imagewrap.img

imagewrap.img

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Then you can manage to eat like a pig ....I mean OFG... on occasion and not gain a pound!
dudes.. i'm getting smaller by the day!

and nah i know you work, Quail, i'm just throwin' that out there. its what i tell folks who ask what my secret is (generally naysayers who are givin me grief about having a milk shake every day when the summer really gets crankin'"

and its hard to get this all figured out but once you do, its second nature. i once had an older, heavier woman stand there and give me the business about how i use whole cream to finish lentil soup and WHO would do that... but she easily had 70 pounds on me even tho she was tossin' back her lean cuisines (btw dont eat the crap either).

so throw out what you've ever read in women's magazines about healthy eating. it just takes time and research...

for instance we were in the store the other day and my hubby was putting bananas and grapes in the cart and i told him to put them back and he was all "but its fruit and thats good for you!" until i told him that a banana has something like 6 TABLESPOONS of sugar in it and grapes were almost as bad.

so we got apples and oranges (oranges were a compromise and i only eat the small ones or half of one) instead.

a few things that i generally never eat (and dont miss):

* any kind of soda - including sugar free... i get the plain sparkling water from kroger if i want something fizzy
* potatoes - only on occasion and not so many
* boxed cereal - its all demonic. just eat oatmeal (old fashioned)
* white rice - i only use barley..it works for everything including fried rice
* white pasta. honestly i couldnt got to olive garden if you paid me. we switched to whole wheat and never even miss the 'real' stuff

and i really limit white flour in baking

'ceptin' of course.... everything i ate today. i'm still in a food coma......

the funny thing about all of this is that after you retrain yourself you wont even miss most things. white knuckle it for 2 weeks and you're home free.

;-)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
He also seems to have a problem with yogurt and cheese
Only during the induction phase. You reintroduce those foods after you lose some weight.

I never did the Atkins induction stuff, but followed Barry Groves Natural Health and Weight Loss. There are a lot of overlapping things, but no overly restrictive induction on the Groves' plan.

Another point about dairy...many people have dairy intolerances and don't even know it. They discover their condition when they try to reintroduce dairy after stopping for a few weeks. I think more people have a problem with grains and sugars, but there are those who are shocked to discovery a lot of health issues are tie to a dairy allergy of some sort.

"Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Being able to digest milk is so strange that scientists say we shouldn't really call lactose intolerance a disease, because that presumes it's abnormal. Instead, they call it lactase persistence, indicating what's really weird is the ability to continue to drink milk."
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
so, on the chart you posted, Dace, the following foods would be OK to eat?

apple
orange
1/2 banana

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots
Green Beans
Green Peas
Spinach
Tomatoes

maybe whole grain bread

skip the cereals

2% milk - yuck! i'd rather have whole, raw, fresh from the source milk

Cashews
Peanuts

but I could mix it up some and not eat the same things every day - and throw in some steak, pork, chicken, and eggs?