ok Sweet potatoe Gurus....I need help!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I was out in the garden this morning, and I noticed the cat was running through the sweet potato vines. Hmmmm....I better take a look see. Just as I thought, darned moles!! I pulled a few taters, they had mole bites in them. So, I decided to pull the rest of them so as to not to a buffet for the moles.
I got about 25 this size
99_onebigsweetpotato.jpg

And, im not sure how many smaller ones...about half a bushel I guess.
99_sweet_potatos2011.jpg

Now, since sweet potato's are NOT my favorite food, I decided I need to can a lot of them. Well, after an exhausting hour on the web....I can not find one single recipe on how to can them, other than with just a tsp of salt? Hubby loves them, and when I DO buy them, they are packed in a syrup? So....tell me oh great gurus....how do I do this, in pint jars??

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have no clue but I do know that they will keep for a year without canning.........we are still eating on last years.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My canning book says to boil or steam to remove the skins. hot pack with a light or medium syrup ( 5 cups of water with either 2 1/4 or 3 1/3 cups of sugar). Process at 10 lb pressure, pint 65 minutes, quarts 90 minutes.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
My canning book says to boil or steam to remove the skins. hot pack with a light or medium syrup ( 5 cups of water with either 2 1/4 or 3 1/3 cups of sugar). Process at 10 lb pressure, pint 65 minutes, quarts 90 minutes.
Thank you Jamie...

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey OFG, Thanks! I have been to that site before....not sure why I didn't think of it. LOL So I cooked a few of them up for supper...peeled, boiled, then baked with brown sugar. Believe it or not, I liked them!! :) Not all mushy like the ones in the can, from the stores.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
all i can think of now is...... sweet potato pie!

but i'm glad you posted this - i would NEVER have thought to check for moles!!! and Kai has been digging up in the garden were my sweet taters are!!!! so i'm gonna check them and might just can some myself this week!

:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I make sweet potato souffle for T-day and Christmas. It's not a true souffle, but that is what the recipe is called. It is a.w.e.s.o.m.e. .