ok Sweet potatoe Gurus....I need help!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Recipe please MTN!

Justy - isn't it amazing how different they are? I love sweet potatoes sliced thin, fried in lard in a skillet with a bit of carmelized onion, a dash of sea salt and sometimes a bit of thyme or rosemary. I'll usually have this with venison bits coated in flour and pepper and cooked up in another skillet. This is my DH's favorite meal.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't have the recipe on this computer ( and the other ones motherboard is shot :() but this one is the closest I can find to the one I make, although I don[t know how you get a 1/3 of an egg

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Potato-Souffle/detail.aspx

I have used walnut and almonds--both great!! Oh, and I used cream before, but now I have a goat, so this t-day it will be milk.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FF, that is how we fix our sweet potatoes a lot, except that I usually dice them and the onions... so it's more of a hash. Sometimes I will use white and sweet potatoes and onion.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone. I just canned a few...made 6 pints. The rest are sitting in the garage....I need to figure out what to store them in, straw? Pine shavings?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
so.

i ran right out there to see how my superbig sweet taters were doing - and to check to see if moles or what not got 'em????

so i got the big shovel and started to dig one up - because i was promised these were MONSTER sized sweet taters, guaranteed to be as big as your head....and....and....

it was about as big as an egg.

F-

no canning here.. for sure.

drat!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
so.

i ran right out there to see how my superbig sweet taters were doing - and to check to see if moles or what not got 'em????

so i got the big shovel and started to dig one up - because i was promised these were MONSTER sized sweet taters, guaranteed to be as big as your head....and....and....

it was about as big as an egg.

F-

no canning here.. for sure.

drat!
OH NO!!! I am so sorry. Well, leave the rest in there, give them some more time..maybe they will hit a growth spurt!?? water, water, water!!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on your harvest!
My favorite way to do sweet potatoes right now is to peel and either slice or cut into fry lengths. Coat with oil (I've done olive or coconut) and sprinkle with season salt. Roast in the oven at 400 for around 15 minutes or until softened. YUM

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have yet to try the "fries" I think I will do some this weekend....I would like to let them "cure" a bit more.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All I'd ever had was canned sweet potatoes and other than sweet tater pie I thought they were disgusting.. But boychild saw they were on sale 5lb bag for a buck and we bought one... we steamed the first one when I was steaming and dehydrating regular potatoes and I was totally shocked at how yummy it was! Just a dab of butter and a bit of salt and pepper.. So yummy.. so boychild and I decided to bake them like baked potatoes and they were even better that way...
So next year I am so gonna put them in the garden and see how they do for us here.
I also baked the last few in the bag and then I mashed them and froze them.. I'll let you know how they end up! lol

Latest posts