Ok, You can see it, but promise not to laugh....

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it looks great too.

But -- you don't have predator problems, do you? Raccoons, coyotes, dogs? Just wondering what sort of chicken wire that is and if it will keep them out?

Love the looks of it though, and great that you were able to come up with it from what you already have. :)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:

But -- you don't have predator problems, do you? Raccoons, coyotes, dogs? Just wondering what sort of chicken wire that is and if it will keep them out?

Love the looks of it though, and great that you were able to come up with it from what you already have. :)
Well, I have lived in this house since 1980, and have never had any "wild" animals make it over the fence.

My "real" coop and run are very secure. All enclosed with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. no way to dig in or under it. This will just be for a few weeks until they are old enough to put in with my other two hens. Here is my "real" coop and run area.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8389

Plus with a dog like Spartacus, on duty ... if any preditors are smart they won't want to tangle with him.

Here he is looking over a not quite 5ft fence that separates my backyard to give my desert tortoise his own yard.

2006OnFence.jpg

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. That's a NICE coop. I can't believe you figured it out in your head without previous building experience. My first coop was just a huge a-frame and I had to rework several structural details. It's all very lovely. :)

I like Spartacus' name, getting to see his pic. It's very fitting for him. Looks like with him on the job you won't have a problem. :)

I can't get away with chicken wire. I made a coop without real walls for my geese (they prefer it open) and I used welded wire in a 2x3 size then covered THAT with smaller mesh. And geese are much more watchful than sleeping chickens. Then again, I guess that's not actually an issue with chicks. Never saw a healthy one sleep TOO deeply.

Good luck with your new chicks. :) They have a beautiful home waiting for them!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now THAT'S using your noodle, as my mom used to say! (I did have to chuckle at the though of your hens lining up to go down the slide, though...).

I just love Spartacus. He really looks like he means business in the picture.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Awwww!! That little blue and white coop is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Even your roost supports are matching. What a great job!! The temporary coop looks great too. Should be fine with dog dog on guard!!

gina

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
Shiloh Acres said:

Well, I have lived in this house since 1980, and have never had any "wild" animals make it over the fence.

My "real" coop and run are very secure. All enclosed with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. no way to dig in or under it. This will just be for a few weeks until they are old enough to put in with my other two hens. Here is my "real" coop and run area.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8389

Plus with a dog like Spartacus, on duty ... if any preditors are smart they won't want to tangle with him.

Here he is looking over a not quite 5ft fence that separates my backyard to give my desert tortoise his own yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2010/PETS/2006OnFence.jpg
He looks like a big ole batch of awsomeness!!!!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:th I think your dog might be as tall as me standing up like that. :gig
He is taller than me...But I am not very tall, 5'2', when he stands up He pretty much can look my husband in the eye.