Ok, You can see it, but promise not to laugh....

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Next week I plan to get some new chicks. But, I can't put them in with my two remaining hens until they are bigger.

After checking prices at Home Depot and Lowe's, I was kind of discouraged about building a new coop and run area. So, I came home, and I have wracked my brain to think of where I can house them until then. Looking around my yard and using my imagination, I think I have solved my problem.

I have a raised bed that is about 6ft by 10ft. It is covered with chicken wire, to keep the birds out. But, the past few years that bed doesn't get enough sun to really grow much but lettuce in there.
Here is what I came up with for a new enclosure for my chicks, without spending any money!!

Side view

82710ViewfromSideLong02email.jpg

View from front

82710ViewfromFrontlongemail.jpg

Since my grandchildren are now in Missouri, I don't have much use for the play structure in my yard. So, it is now going to be a "coop" of sorts.

CoopEmail.jpg

Next week, I will cover the open area above the "coop"with some vinyl I found at a discount fabric store for $2.99 a yard. That will make it waterproof over the "coop" area and help retain some heat at night, and hopefully keep it cooler during the day.

Anyway, that is my plan... What do you think??

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
GREAT WORK!!!

might as well put them chickens to work!!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Now that's using your noggin!!!! :lol:
So creative and an excellent use of stuff you already have on hand :thumbsup
I bet those chickes will love the slide, you might have to build them a chick sized ladder :p

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Don't come complaining to us when all your hens wanna do is go down the slide all day. :gig :gig

Its fantastic! Perfectly fits the bill.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
How neat! I like it. I wish I had an area like that to raise chicks in. (I want chicks!)

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can I come play with your chickens? :)

Cool you've got some ingenuity there.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No complaints for a free coop! I bet they will love the slide and all the perches on that!

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Looks like a custom made chick run to me : )

Consider predators,though. Racoons,snakes and rats may still be able to make their way in.

Latest posts