OkieJonesClan . .city slickers going rural . . lol

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
01. Name? OkieJonesClan
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? WDW
04. What is your favorite color? sky blue
08. Can you swim? does dog paddleing count?
09. Do you like to swim? Not really
10. Living arrangement? Married
11. What's on your mouse pad? Don't have one
13. Favorite magazine? Don't have one
14. Favorite Actor? Don't watch TV, rarely visit the theater . .
17. Favorite smells? hmm . . rain, ocean, dirt, and onions and peppers on the griddle
18. Least favorite smells? wet dog
19. Favorite sound? childrens laughter
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Ocean

22. Pencil or pen? pencil - easier to correct mistakes (I make a few)
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? Not really, not too practicle for me
25. Do you sing in the shower? no
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? Cinderella . . or Aurora - her dress changes color! hahaaa
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? My "to do" list
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? I usually don't answer
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? Certainly not
31. Gold or silver? Neither . .
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? No way, too scared of heights!
33. Do you like dressing up? sometimes
35. Do you enjoy reading? Very much
36. What book are you reading now? Tightwad Gazette Three
37. Favorite books? Just David, A Life that Says Welcome, Ministry of Motherhood and The Way We Garden Now
38. What was the last movie you saw? Wall-E
39. Favorite movies? hmm, I will get back with you on that one.
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Not any more
41. What is your sign? Don't really buy into all that
42. What are your personality traits? Sometimes it depends on the day . .lol:weee
43. What's your biggest fear? the one and only . .heights, I guess it is actually the fear of falling . . :p
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? Nope
45. Future child's name? Hmm, not sure there is one, but if there were . .I always name them during pregnancy . . not there.
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla if we are talking ice cream, anything else Chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? no
49. Storms - cool or scary? Cool, love thunderstorms
50. Do you like to dance? when no one I am not related to is looking!
51. Do you do drugs? nope
52. Do you smoke? nope
53. What do you think of people who smoke? I don't think anything about it.:frow, but it must be a bummer expense.
54. Do you drink? nope
55. Favorite drink? n/a
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? I suppose
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Yes...raw
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Nanny
59. What's your "type"? my husband...
60. Do you bite your nails?nope
61. Any siblings? 1
63. Do you believe in God? Definitely
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? Is there anyone who hasn't?
65. Have you ever stolen anything? nope
66. Do you procrastinate? yes
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Big Bird
72. What was the last CD you got? Andy Griffith Hymms. (last week)
74. Who do you admire the most? Gladys Klassen
83. Have you ever been in love? Yes
84. Any pets? yes and still adding
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? well . . it is both most of the time
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? yes
88. What's under your bed? LOL . .everything that falls or needs hiding quickly from unexpected guests or kids!:lol:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woot! Welcomeeee!

I won't lie, I'm a little bit excited to read a city slickers-gone rural journal. Yep.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes! We are excited to have found this site. :D
So, our first adventure this, coming from a city slicker perspecive, has been our back faucet. It started leaking. It was a slow leak at first. Then it grew. It grew some more. (think of all the wasted water:() Then, we had a flood in the back yard because it wasn't just a little leak any more. We were giong to hire someone to come and fix it. My wonderful, learning to be handy, husband turned off the water to the house, went to ACE and for a total of $6 fixed the faucet and put a new handle on the faucet (the old one was destroyed when we tried to use a wrench to tighten it to stop the leak . .)

I am so proud of my husband! So, we now have cloth napkins, that I love, we use a clothes line to dry our clothes (our families think we have gone off the rocker), we are making our own laundry soap and now we actually fixed something around the house ourselves! Wahooo! We have a long way to go, but we are making progress. Tonight we will start looking at plans for our chicken coop (wait till our families find out when we get chickens!) and starting our garden. I will keep you posted as we get going with all of this. It should make for some funny stories as we learn.;)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOOOOOOO. Fixing stuff yourself is so satisfying LOL. I once had to fix the laundry sink at our old house in the suburbs. I was only 16! but the plumber who came to check it out when my mum got back from Alberta was sure impressed.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Okie, you are doing awesome!!!! I love hearing about all the progress you have made toward becoming SS. I can't wait to hear all about what you do next!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tonight we will start looking at plans for our chicken coop (wait till our families find out when we get chickens!) and starting our garden. I will

***LOL-LOL
they may laugh and think you are nuts with chickens---but you KNOW they will LOVE your fresh eggs. they will be in line to eat them up!

My Mom is not a farmer type like me at all. She wanted away from the farm and olden days and she did it well...lol....when I started the farming she thinks I am nuts also....but she sure loves my eggs, sausage and tons of produce from the garden.

Funny thing is after all these years, now she sings praises of us to all her friends and family.....proud of what we produce!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Welcome OkieJones!
You sound like you are off to a wonderful start and you have found us...Yay!

I am in suburban southern California and we just moved to the outer fringes of suburbia where we happily sit on 2/3 of an acre right on the edge of miles and miles of open space.
I am excited to expand my garden this year and I hope to get both ducks and chickens soon...and like you, some will think we have lost it. Although most have seen me slowly losing it over the last year of so, so it really should not be too big of a shocker! lol

So what prompted you to hop on this path to SS?
Have you heard of the Dervaes family in Los Angeles? They are pretty close to SS on 1/5 of an acre....Google them on You Tube and watch the Homegrown Revolution if you are not familiar with them. They were my inspiration to search for a more SS lifestyle...I have a very long way to go but I do enjoy the process :)

Latest posts