OKLAHOMA :)

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello Okie :D I'm new to this site. I moved to Oklahoma in 2005 and met Mr. Perfect here soon after. We are now married and starting our "Hobby Farm" that we bought in September of 2010 with the hopes of being more self sufficient.
I am also on BYC and BYH :D
Nice to meet you!

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow it's been a while since I popped over here. Central OK, does that mean near OKC? I live over in eastern OK, just south of Tulsa. We are making progress on our garden and chickens, but we are a little behind. This is the first year to get things going, so if it's not 100% this year we will keep building on it until it is. We are trying to be as self sufficiant as we can living in town w/ our back yard.

Greendecember

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are behind too hehe. We just bought our 5 acres in September. being self sufficient is a lot of work and a bit costly to start but I know it will be all worth it in the end!!
Good luck with your back yard! I wish I had been smarter when we lived in town and tried to better use our back yard!

We are about 40 miles east of OKC near Shawnee. Chickens are on a roll. We are getting 6-8 eggs a day from Mr. Cockburn and his 8 hens LOL. We brought the chicks home in September. We bought a new batch of chicks (30) this spring. They are about out of the brooder. They have to slow down growing! Their new coop isn't finished yet! LOL

Garden is behind schedule. This weather has been a mess! Tractor is coming to till up our 100' x 100' garden area today. Then I hope to get it seeded / planted as the week progresses. We have some friends that live in town that are chipping in with work, plants, materials, $$, etc. in exchange for harvested goods. It is turning out to be a lot of fun!

I am WAY behind on the poor goats though. We still need some more fencing so they can do their job as weed eaters until we are ready to breed for Milk or fiber. Still not sure which direction we want to go on that.

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are doing two approx 50 x 50 garden spots divided into 8 individual gardens each, the center of each is the chicken coop containing 11 chickens in each. The chickens will rotate through the individual gardens throughout the year, so they will do all the weeding, tilling, insect control, and fertilizing during their 3 week stay in the one garden then when we move them to the next we will plant out the one they are leaving. The perimeter will be planted in fruit trees (8 per garden). Our girls are laying up a storm too.

I would love to have some goats for milk, but right now that is impossible. When I was a teen we had milk goats.

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another Okie here. Living on a (very) small hobby farm near Midwest City! Have goats for milk and fun and chickens for eggs and meat, German Shepherds to keep 'em all safe!

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Greendecember said:
The garden you have planed sounds beautiful and well though out!!! I would love to see pics!!
Right now they are soooo far behind. I have taken pics along the way and will take more, but right now the pics don't really show much. I'll go through them and see if any make sense. The only thing I actually have planted right now are my potato tires, and they are almost ready for the second tire layer.
We will probably have the second garden spot for each coop ready this week, if so then we will start planting our first garden spot. We should already be at the 3rd garden for each coop :rolleyes:

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Something new I'm trying this year. I dug an area (not ness you can just put them on top of the ground) and placed tires in, then planted my potato sets in the tires and back filled w/ dirt. (that is why I chose to dig the spot, so I didn't have to buy or haul dirt.) Then you just wait for them to grow, when the tops out grow the tires, you put another tire layer on top and fill w/ straw, leaves, hay whatever and repeat as often as they out grow the next layer until the end of the growing season. Then you just dissassemble and pick your potatoes all the way down. The plant is supose to set potatoes all the way up as it grows. This is my first year so this is not from experience, but so far so good.