Oldest fell too far behind

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the oldest child I had often ran to her room to study alone and then told me she had done a day of school, while I was busy with the farm, work or her younger sisters. She'd turn in the tests in subjects she liked and avoided subjects she was poor in, until she fell very far behind and would cry everytime the subject of school came up. My oldest, who is a biology master, got her a book to begin studying for her GED, but guess what.....it wasn't happening.
So she is now 17 and years behind her counterpart, so I called the school to discuss what to do with her and they decided she has done well enough to begin taking highschool classes and earn units, but first she needed to write a composition on a book she read recently and take a math test. Well, she got into highschool and I ordered her books, which came in yesterday. Today she 'went to school.' I worked with her in English and Algebra and my godchild took over the algebra because she thought she could explain it in a way DD could understand. But as near as I can make out, she only needs to do religion and French this evening and will have completed a school day. She needs to work some weekends to finish highschool about a year faster than most people finish, but I think she is glad to be back on some kind of track. She had stuck herself in a rut and didn't know how to get out of it.
No trust for a while. I wanna see her work. I didn't pay over $700 for her books and have her fall behind again. She is plenty old enough that she best do it right this time.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For the time being. I hope I don't have to police this kid. She is almost an adult. She will be about 20 before she graduates, but that is still young, really. She can just go to college at that time. Hopefully she has learned a valueable lesson about time management. But if I have to go through highschool English, French and Algebra, so be it. I'll do it and be ready for the other girls. Optimistic.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a son who tries to do this. I have made a schedule for him though that he must stick with and every subject has to be covered every single day. I just do not trust him to know what he needs at this point. Hopefully by the time college comes he will have turned this into a habit and no longer needs mom to police him. Some kids it takes till they are in their 20's before they stop needing the mom police. Heck I have a sister who is 54 and still needs the mom police.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, its Saturday and she is watching the football game on tv with DS. I spoke with her about using the weekends to do her religion for a whole week and maybe grabbing a lesson or two in an easy subject, so she can be slightly ahead when the week starts. I have a few hours home before I leave for work, so I'll see what happens. I've only been awoke for about 1/2 hour now. The family had to go in the woods because a tree came down on our road and was blocking our access to the end of the property about a week ago, so once DS was off and the trail dried from all the rain, they took the equipment in the woods with Dad's golfcart and cut our firelogs. We still have a little oak from last year for the very cold weather and now a whole maple for just killing the chill otherwise. I missed all the excitement.
Feet aren't as bad as they can be, so I'll put on some old clothes, do whatever I think I have to and maybe grab her books and see if I can lure her into a few lessons. I really think if religion is on weekends and lagniappe, then we can stay on a roll.....or at least get on a roll.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not sure if we progressing as fast as we should, but if we progressing, then I'm happy. Going somewhere 30mph or 50mph...one will get you there faster, but eventually you will get there. Besides you might enjoy the view better with 30mph.
So DD was smiling and looking at her compostion she wrote on the Hobbit and she told me that composition should be framed because thats the paper that got her into highschool. Poor baby. I know she is behind, but at least she was smiling and can know she is working toward a goal. One unit at a time, if necessary. Gotta stay positive.