On average, what do you spend on feed every month?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
6 ducks are going through a 50# bag of game bird feed in a month. It costs me a little over $16.

I have no idea if that is good, bad, or what, but they cost less to feed than 3 cats, and the cats never make me breakfast.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
BBH, don't even get me started on the "hole in the bucket" song. :gig Seems more like a hole in my pocket right now. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
BBH, don't even get me started on the "hole in the bucket" song. :gig Seems more like a hole in my pocket right now. :D
Well fix it DrakeMaiden, DrakeMaiden, well fix it DrakeMaiden, DrakeMaiden FIX IT!
:lol:
(That song is worse than "Found a Peanut!" Great, now guess what my mind is going to be fixed on during my walk today!)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Well fix it DrakeMaiden, DrakeMaiden, well fix it DrakeMaiden, DrakeMaiden FIX IT!
:lol:
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol:

Seriously LMAO OL over here :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
FarmerChick -- it is good to know you are making some profit. If I could buy food by the ton and not expect it to spoil, I could probably profitably sell eggs to. Right now I am looking at just selling them to get rid of them and not seeing a profit when penciling it out. :/
yea we use it up within 5-6 weeks tops so it doesn't spoil, but super long term storage would not be advisable of course.

we have many outlets. 2 farmer markets --1 smaller, one the charlotte regional (big one) and we sell eggs to 3 restuarants. So we do get rid of them. And we eat alot of omlettes..HA HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care! :lol: (I'm not getting a thing done today...too close to Friday I think!)

FarmerChick, I knew that you farmed for a living, that is why I wanted to know how much you saved by spending. Does that make sense? :D
yes
I took a quick look for a chicken feed bill....do you think I can find one..HA HA HA

I get a ton in about 2 weeks. Last ton was Sept. 3

When I get that bill I will post the cost and lbs. Usually I get a little over a ton. The you can figure your cost per lb. from a 50 lb bag vs. my cost per lb. from a ton price.

I will remember to post that later when we buy in a few weeks.
Now you got me wondering again what the cost is..LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have thought about selling to restaurants too. If I get the darn egg handler permit, I could sell to local restaurants, sell at the farmer's market, and also sell at a small local food store that is just starting. I still think the permit and other fees would put me in the red for months, though. :/

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
When I get that bill I will post the cost and lbs. Usually I get a little over a ton. The you can figure your cost per lb. from a 50 lb bag vs. my cost per lb. from a ton price.

I will remember to post that later when we buy in a few weeks.
Now you got me wondering again what the cost is..LOL
I'd like to see how your chicken feed pencils out.

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I spend almost two hundred dollars a month just feeding the dogs. I buy 50lbs of food a week from my vet for them. Chickens get laying mash and cracked corn about thirty dollars a month or so. Rabbits get alfalfa and pellets about twenty dollars a month or so. Goats get cracked corn, oats and alfalfa maybe a hundred and fifty a month. All the other poultry simply get cracked corn which comes to maybe fifteen dollars a month or so.

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I keep adding animals,so I can't even figure costs out.It's not a static thing here,but the goats ,sheep and chickens free range / browse in addition to their feed,so it could be worse!

What is the smallest plot of hay worth sowing? We've been looking at farms and all have 12 plus acre hayfields.We are on 8 acres here and wonder of one or two acres of hay would even be worth it.