on your to-do list

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Ya'll make lists? :idunno
No, not everyone makes lists :)

Keljonma creates 3x5 cards, and it helps her keep everything that needs to be done organized -- right down to the amount of time each thing will take! :)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Let's see, what was that quote again.... no matter how much wood you put up for winter, you'll always be a cord short come March...something like that. :lol:
We also got lucky with firewood! A guy we know has been by four times now with hot burning wood in his pickup truck. We still have to cut it in smaller pieces, but hey! I'm okay with that! You know my thought on that - cheap is good, but free is better! He said he thought he'd get one more load to drop off. Both justusnak and I are :weee
Probably!

And why is that?

I like free things to!
But i cut the wood on my own. So it's nearly free, except gas and oil to the chainsaw.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We cut a lot of our own wood, but usually end up buying some. At least we haven't had to pay as much per cord as some.

Neiklot, what's the English translation for the words under your signature?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I didn't make lists I would forget most things and sit on the couch and watch Food Network all day. My to do list this month- finish clearing and fertilizing my spring cabbage,etc. plot and cover it with black plastic so I don't have to wait for DH and the weather to come together. Finish mucking out the semi-deeplitter in the chicken coop and start new. Get strawberries out of the freezer and make jam for Christmas presents and make room for on sale turkey(s). Continue digging sunchokes and find a way to make chickens love them. Weed and mulch around my comfrey. Weed and mulch my new yarrow plants and maybe move them. Dehydrate more onions for Christmas dip mixes and ditto for dill left in the raised bed. Finish canning tomatoes. Think I'll go watch TV. Just kidding, have to get the chickens fed watered and out ranging, keeping BB gun handy for stray dogs.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a nerd. I usually make lists of my lists. :D I also have a daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal and twice a year cleaning lists. Plus various other lists that I am too embarrassed to mention. I have a very unorganized (and slow moving) brain. Plus, I love being able to cross things off of my list. Told you I was nerdy. Here is this months master list:

For November

The Garden
-Finish clearing out the garden
-make new 2 raised beds (I should really do this, but it will most likely still be sitting on my list until spring. It's getting to damn cold.)
-Rake leaves as needed
-Cover leaf bins with tarp
-Check the gutters and downspouts
-Fix crack on the rise of front porch steps (I should have done this MUCH earlier in the season. I've never done it before and My husband kept saying he would get to it. Now it is most likely to cold. I hope my porch survives)

The Kitchen:
-Can Applesauce, jalapenos and pear butter
-Make one last crock of pickles
-Purchase honey
-Find leaf lard (I have been searching at all the butchers by me. So far, no dice :( )

The Medicine Cabinet:
-Schedule dentist appointment (I haven't been since I was 18. I'm now 28 and I think I may have my first cavity)
-Schedule Doc. App. for Binker's (Dd) check up
-Make face scrub, face wash
-Make cough drops
-Cut hair

The Broom Closet:
-Clean the windows (So I can watch the snowfall! I never remove my screens. Do you? I just recently heard of this. Anyone know the reason?)
-Make More Laundry Soap
-Finish Mending (this is always on my list, it never goes away:rolleyes:)
-Clean the basement (one last time before it gets to cold to spend any time down there. It is freezing in winter. I usually sprint down just to throw in a load of clothes and then run back up the stairs)
-Change the furnace filter
-Check the smoke alarms and CM detector

The Studio:
-Make Christmas gifts ( My actual list has a sublist of what and who- and all that jazz)
-Finish framing pieces of artwork (I am a full time homemaker and a sometimes artist)
-Pick up glass for frames

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might like this website Ohiogoatgirl. It has seasonal lists for maintaining your home. I should add some of these to my lists :)

http://www.demesne.info/Home-Maintenance/Comp-Fall-Checklist.htm

I'm glad you brought up this subject. It made me think of this website. And, I remember this being the first website I read that made me want to be SS. Although I didn't know what that was at the time. I just liked the idea of owning my own place and spending my life caring for it. I remember looking up the word demesne and being like....yeah, I want to do that. Wow, that was 4 years ago.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
-Clean the windows (So I can watch the snowfall! I never remove my screens. Do you? I just recently heard of this. Anyone know the reason?)
On my Dad's farm, we always took down the screens in the fall and put up the storm windows, to get ready for winter. Now days, I have the integrated windows, so I leave the screens in place (The last one I removed - to install an a/c unit, didn't fit right again once it went back in :/ )

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My list is:

-Finish turning one raised bed and get the garlic planted (11/13/11...almost done!!!)

-Find the clear plastic to close off the west and north camper windows (our version of storm windows)

-Replastic one cold frame and refigure another and get it covered so we have winter greens (done 11/11/11)

-Build more raised beds for the 3 lbs of Jerusalem Artichokes that are arriving in mid-December

-Get my truck running so Doc can start hauling home scrap hardwood, hardwood sawdust and pallets from work

-Burn stumps so we can expand the orchard

-Fence the orchard

-Start friut tree seeds (persimmon, peach and pawpaw)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Finish cleaning up the garden.

Finish processing the rest of the produce--mainly hot pepper jelly, watermelon rind pickles, cooking and freezing the squash that's going bad, cleaning and refrigerating the carrots, beets, celeriac, turnips, rutabagas and B. sprouts. Finish picking, husking and shelling/cleaning the popcorn (about 6 bushels)

Finish washing windows on the outside. Inside can be done later.

Deep clean the house sometime this winter.

Catch up on some organizing some photos sometime this winter.