Onion storage

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Onions are stored in newspaper in cool dark place. Not lasting. Can they be sliced and frozen or something?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you allow them to dry thoroughly before storage? I found that make shift drying racks or brading them and hanging from nails on our porch does the trick for drying. Then we bring them in during the winter works pretty well.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only old pics I could find
IMG_20170708_123556190.jpg

IMG_20170706_222920524.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did you allow them to dry thoroughly before storage? I found that make shift drying racks or brading them and hanging from nails on our porch does the trick for drying. Then we bring them in during the winter works pretty well.

They were completely dried. Its been 6 months. The guy told me when i planted them they didnt store as long as some of the others.

So no one has frozen onions?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can buy frozen diced onions at the grocer. Frozen onions are included in many TV style frozen dinners. I often cut a whole onion and green pepper when making pizza. Use some, freeze the rest for the next time. So, yes... you can freeze onions. I would check to see if blanching is recommended. Realize that, however you freeze them, they will only be good for cooking. You might want to IQF them on a cookie sheet, then pour them into qt. size mason jars for easy use when cooking.

I peel a pile of garlic, then put it into jars for the freezer. Makes it super easy to pull out the number of cloves I need for cooking. They slice very easily while still somewhat frozen. If I need to crush them, I run them under warm water to thaw.

Of course, an other idea might be to dehydrate a bunch of them. Either sliced or diced. You could even turn some of those into onion powder.

Yes, variety matters! Some onions have very little storage life, (especially the sweets and reds) and were bred for fresh eating.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do. When I need diced onions for cooking, I dice a couple of them at a time. I use what I need for the recipe and then freeze the rest in ziploc bags. I have large dice and small dice (minced ) onions in my freezer most of the time. It sure beats dicing onions when I just need a tablespoon or so.
They are a little mushy when they thaw. They work great for cooking, not so good if you want it raw. Although, I have been known to have frozen onions on my hot dogs, lol!

If you decide to try to dehydrate onions - set up your dehydrator OUTSIDE. That onion smell will permeate everywhere and does not leave. A friend dehydrated onions in her entry way and 2 years later there was still a lingering onion smell.

Latest posts