1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Onion storage

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by Chic Rustler, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Aug 20, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

Onions are stored in newspaper in cool dark place. Not lasting. Can they be sliced and frozen or something?

2. Aug 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Did you allow them to dry thoroughly before storage? I found that make shift drying racks or brading them and hanging from nails on our porch does the trick for drying. Then we bring them in during the winter works pretty well.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. Aug 21, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

4. Aug 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

Only old pics I could find
    IMG_20170708_123556190.jpg

IMG_20170706_222920524.jpg

sumi likes this.
  5. Aug 21, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

They were completely dried. Its been 6 months. The guy told me when i planted them they didnt store as long as some of the others.

So no one has frozen onions?

6. Aug 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

You can buy frozen diced onions at the grocer. Frozen onions are included in many TV style frozen dinners. I often cut a whole onion and green pepper when making pizza. Use some, freeze the rest for the next time. So, yes... you can freeze onions. I would check to see if blanching is recommended. Realize that, however you freeze them, they will only be good for cooking. You might want to IQF them on a cookie sheet, then pour them into qt. size mason jars for easy use when cooking.

I peel a pile of garlic, then put it into jars for the freezer. Makes it super easy to pull out the number of cloves I need for cooking. They slice very easily while still somewhat frozen. If I need to crush them, I run them under warm water to thaw.

Of course, an other idea might be to dehydrate a bunch of them. Either sliced or diced. You could even turn some of those into onion powder.

Yes, variety matters! Some onions have very little storage life, (especially the sweets and reds) and were bred for fresh eating.

sumi and Chic Rustler like this.
  7. Aug 21, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

I do. When I need diced onions for cooking, I dice a couple of them at a time. I use what I need for the recipe and then freeze the rest in ziploc bags. I have large dice and small dice (minced ) onions in my freezer most of the time. It sure beats dicing onions when I just need a tablespoon or so.
    They are a little mushy when they thaw. They work great for cooking, not so good if you want it raw. Although, I have been known to have frozen onions on my hot dogs, lol!

If you decide to try to dehydrate onions - set up your dehydrator OUTSIDE. That onion smell will permeate everywhere and does not leave. A friend dehydrated onions in her entry way and 2 years later there was still a lingering onion smell.

8. Aug 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

My SIL once dehydrated jalapenos in her house. She only did that once! The oils wreaked havoc on her eyes and lungs!

9. Aug 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

Lol I've done that with HOT peppers more than once. Hint its best to take the blender outside on a windy day and stand upwind when crushing.

10. Aug 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Even roasting them to steam the skins off... done outdoors on a grill is a painful experience!