Onions

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got wild onions growing right now out in the yard. But the weather ain't got cold yet, when it does it will kill off all the wild onion growth. Then when it warms back up, the wild onions will sprout again and that's my cue to transplant my onions started indoors out into the garden.
IMG_20181214_134741591.jpg

And yes... I do cut wild onion greens like these for fresh chives. If I get a big bunch of them. I'll dehydrate them and put them in spice jars to use throughout the year.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll do peas in late Feb - early March...too wet for me right now. I need more raised beds! No on planting onions from seeds...usually buy sets when I try growing onions.

My worst results came by growing from sets, planted as soon as they came in at the farm store. As a matter of fact I did an experiment one year and grew 6 rows of oinions, 2 each white, yellow and red. 3 rows we're transplants I started indoors, 3 rows were sets I purchased from the farm store. The sets I purchased grew really no bigger than large green onions do but the ones I started indoors and transplanted we're good sized slicers. This is just my experience, your could be different (I hope it was) because I don't even consider onion sets something worth messing around with after that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
oooo, Baker Creek has Ailsa Craig onion seed. It's not a storage type, but if I use a food processor and freeze that wouldn't be too bad.

Maybe gigantic onions would be easier to find and weed around? :gig

I just ordered a boat load of seeds from Baker creek including a pack of Ailsa Craig. Baker creek prices were good plus no tax and free shipping. I don't like Dick Durbin get a penny from me, so I go out of my to find places to order on line with no tax.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soooo -- here's a tip

This morning I have an email from them, since I didn't complete the buy, they sent me a code for 10% off the order:D

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My seeds from Patriot should be here tomorrow or Sat, I suspect. I did pick up another pack of different at a Habitat discount. ALSO -- strawberry & asparagus seed. I want an asparagus bed and not the cost of plants, so going the cheap route, maybe. :) If the sprout, I'll transplant in summer. If not, hey, I lost 15 cent. The berries are all summer bearing, like wild ones...they should do fine & were just a "why not?". The other 34 packs of seed..:hide

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would fire off a complaint, anyway.

I would be inclined to do the same. Accept crap, continue to receive crap. But, sometimes, the time spent complaining is simply not worth it. One area I won't abide crap: chicken feed. If it's not fresh, or the birds won't eat it, back it goes. I always check the mill date, goal: not feed anything older than 6 weeks.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was not impressed with Baker Creek the one year I ordered from them. They have kind of a cult following and some darn pretty catalogs though , lol.

Fedco, only place I use.

Latest posts