Onions

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know onions will grow well here as evidenced by the Noonday Onions.

http://www.noondaysweetonions.com/

Noonday, Texas isn't far from us. I do well with onion sets for green onions, but rarely get a very big bulb. Never have got a nice big onion, :hit

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Temperature history by zip code. Have a look here to kind of guess when the last day your temp will hit 20 degrees. It's weather... So a guess a best but historically highes, lows and averages help you guess. 20 degrees is that "magic" temperature that triggers bolting in onion seedlings.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My onion success has been hit or miss. The hardest part for me is weeding them! I knocked half my onions out of the soil while weeding this past season. The year before we LOST the onions in a weed patch.

I have perennial/bunching Red Welsh onions up near my house.

I would be interested in techniques for cultivating and dealing with weeds. Companion planting didn't work well for me because the onions preventing good weeding practice.

Up here in WI, stuttgarter is the yellow onion variety of choice. Well, it's the only yellow variety available in sets. I grew some from seed and had trouble with using pellets - the pellets fell apart and the soil eroded away from the onion roots which killed them. I have to start onion seed in January here!!

Last year I said I wasn't going to grow onions any more. But my big Baker Creek seed catalog is trying to influence me otherwise! :p

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My onion success has been hit or miss. The hardest part for me is weeding them! I knocked half my onions out of the soil while weeding this past season. The year before we LOST the onions in a weed patch.

I would be interested in techniques for cultivating and dealing with weeds. Companion planting didn't work well for me because the onions preventing good weeding practice.

Up here in WI, stuttgarter is the yellow onion variety of choice. Well, it's the only yellow variety available in sets. I grew some from seed and had trouble with using pellets - the pellets fell apart and the soil eroded away from the onion roots which killed them. I have to start onion seed in January here!!

Last year I said I wasn't going to grow onions any more. But my big Baker Creek seed catalog is trying to influence me otherwise! :p

Have you tried corn gluten meal? Not only is it a nitrogen fertlizer it also prevents seeds from sprouting. If your weed seeds have already sprouted it won't kill the plant but it will prevent further seeds from sprouting.

Read more about corn gluten meal here ---> https://www.dixondalefarms.com/product/all-natural-weed-feed-12/growing_aids

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
corn gluten meal is new to me! Very cool! Does it have residual effect in following years?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Being in long day country, have tried starting Ailsa Craig seeds indoors for huge onions?

Let me tempt you a little further. Ailsa Craig' ready for harvest :)
IMG_20181214_141516.jpg

Here's your seeds --->
https://www.rareseeds.com/ailsa-craig-onion/

Last edited: