Online consignment/secondhand shopping

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone tried shopping consignment/seccondhand stores online? Found any good deals? Just started to peruse Goodwill online. Bought a nice old hand drill for Dad this Christmas.

The good one I have found is Goodwill and maybe eBay. Any others?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
goodwill on line oh my goodness... You should not have told me. I will never leave the house.

No, really. How do the prices compare and how much for shipping???

gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goodwill... Online? :th
I'll never get anything done now... :lol:

I use ebay, Tradewinds Weekly (I think this is a local one) and try to pay attention to Freecycle & Craigslist, but there is hardly every anything posted close by on those 2.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The website is www.shopgoodwill.com.

Shipping depends on how close the item is being sent. I bought the drill for $5 and shipping was $14. I live in CA and it was shipped from OH. This may sound like quite a bit. But there are willing to bundel items if bought from the same Goodwill store within a few days of each other. I think the real savings is buying tools or formal wear. There is always several nice wedding dresses for $25-75. With shipping, tailoring and cleaning, it would probably be about $200 or so. Now that is a deal.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's bidding like e bay??? Not just shopping? hmmm I guess like e bay you might be able to score some really great deals.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have been shopping Goodwill online for a number of years now. You can get a good deal, if you are careful.

Three years ago I got a Coach purse for a niece for Christmas. I applied some saddle soap and it looked like new. It cost me $12 and that included shipping. She still uses it.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I have been shopping Goodwill online for a number of years now. You can get a good deal, if you are careful.

Three years ago I got a Coach purse for a niece for Christmas. I applied some saddle soap and it looked like new. It cost me $12 and that included shipping. She still uses it.
Just discovered Goodwill online. I agree you have to know what you are buying. Have been looking at other online consignment stores. Seems that they are just for those trying to buy highend designer at discount. Say a blouse for $100 instead of $550. Not much of a deal for the rest of us. Have you come across any other good online thrift/consignment sites? I wish that the Salvation Army or Discovery Stores were online.

Edited for typos

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No more chit chat!!! Hhhmmm!!! Assume everyone is shopping at Goodwill. Maybe I opened up a can of worms?? Checkout the car in Takoma under transportation.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DianeB said:
No more chit chat!!! Hhhmmm!!! Assume everyone is shopping at Goodwill. Maybe I opened up a can of worms??
You did!!! I didn't know that sight existed. Very, very interesting. Now, off to check on my bid. :weee