OPAH! Webbed Foot WA Family!

JazminesZoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
New to this site, but not to becoming self sufficient! After the horrible Flood in 2007 right before Christmas in the one of the coldest times of the year here ~ which left our community in shambles and in need... Power was out for a couple weeks for us, and no phone for a month at least, no internet for over a month... (at that time we did not have a cell phone) YES we live in the country on a dead in road, our little slice of heaven, but after that natural disaster it changed our family forever.

We were luckier than some, but I remember being stranded in an abandoned house with my nieghbors (all 9 of us) waiting for air lifts & evac. No power, or running water for 2 days, a couple cans of food, animal crackers, and 5 gallons of drinking water. My 2 children were hungry as were all of us, one cell phone with little battery left. Enough to phone 911 to air lift my good neighbor friend who lost her medsin the flood, was missing her Dialysis, and Chemo.

Our community came together, like one who would have lived BEFORE power etc. We all had to resort to basic living, and relying on the help of your nieghbors... It was a horrible horrible devastating blow, BUT in the midst of it, it taught out young family to be prepared, and to learn how to be more sufficient.

Sorry so long ! But that is our story, on how we became more self sufficient & where we are from. Where we are from is more than a location, its our history!

I look forward to contributing as well as being edumacated :thumbsup

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Very good story and it sounds like the seed for self reliance was sewn! Woohoo! Welcome to SufficientSelf!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow! Maybe later you could tell us how you all managed during that time? It would sure give some perspective to those who are preparing for such events. Welcome to the forum! :)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome from another washingtonian

glad to have ya!:celebrate

Let the exchange of info begin!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome
Another Mississippian here - sounds like a very trying time that you and your neighbors handled very well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow, while that is definitely a horrible experience, one good thing came out of it, you want to be prepared.

HI from NC! :frow

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sounds tough
I bet you apreciate those things now though