OPAH! Webbed Foot WA Family!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome and please do share some of how you got through your disaster :)

JazminesZoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Not alot of people know it was the 2nd largest airlift since Katrina... There were cows in the trees, livestock drowned... We stayed in an abandoned house during the flood, gathered dry firewood, I had only a robe, socks & muck boots. I now will NEVER let my kids go hungry during a disaster EVER again. We live in a no flood zone, & my neighbor who was 90 lived here his whole live as well as his grandfather had never seen anything of the likes of this. To see everything you own in a pile of muddy mess in front of your house with a pile burning your prized possesions. I hate to count material things lost because my family was safe.

THE WORST was all the "looky lu's" I know they meant no harm, but it felt like each of our houses were on dislplay like a zoo exhibit, while they would take pictures of us shoveling mud, and just kept driving. Natural curiousity I know... THEN their were looters who stole from the homes that were flooded. One nieghbor actaully helped a guy get unstuck from the mud, ONLY to find out he just looted his home....

Our roads were lifted, bridges destroyed & heirlooms lost forever. My other friend who lived a mile down the road had her house lifted by the river, & floated downtream with her & her mom, dad, and two small children sitting on the roof awaiting airvac via helicopter.

We have survived this, and my children will always remember. Everytime our river gets high my kids ask "Mom is it going to flood?" There are only a few things that we wanted ~ DRY SOCKS #1 ! food for us & food for our animals (dogfood)

ANYTHING can happen ~ whether it be a flood/hurricane/tornado/earthquake/fire.... Be prepared, & knowwhat to take in a 5 minute notice...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jazmin, thank you for sharing--I'm sure it must be painful to think back about how it all unfolded. :hugs

It really is the little things that you miss when you have to do without. I've not been through anything quite so catastrophic, but I have had to do without water and power during winter storms etc. We have preps in place for the more likely disasters that can befall us here, but as you say you never really know.