Opinions wanted on emergency food storage products

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Have any of you used any of the different brands of emergency food storage products? I'm thinking of Shelf Reliance Thrive product from Costco or Traditional food from beprepared.com.

Here in KY we can get really bad ice storms and be without power for a week or so. I would like to have a month's worth of food on hand for 2 people as a start. So I'm interested in what you think would be good for that. I don't think I want to use it as part of our regular meals, just good stuff to have on hand for emergencies. Or are there products out there that are cost effective to cook with on a regular basis?

We also have a friend that we are putting together a basket for. She's struggling financially and has indicated that she would like to start doing some SS things this upcoming year. She lives in a small house with no yard. We were thinking of some freeze dried meals for her along with a windowsill herb garden and one of those upsidedown tomato things that she can grow on her porch. Maybe prepacked meals like mountain house might be better for her situation.

So what have you used and like or don't like or other advice... Thanks!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Another gift idea for your friend would be a batch of home made laundry soap, with instructions on making more, same with laundry softener. Maybe even soap making supplies and info ....you know, I am thinking along the lines of teach someone to fish rather than just give her some fish.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Good point, Dace. A boost for now, and instructions for later. I like that.

I order my LTS foods from http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ Not a lot, because they are pricey, but I get bacon and sausage flavored TVP, powdered whole eggs, etc. Stuff I can't do myself. But they have a nice selection of freeze dried foods, some in smaller cans as well.

prepareedplanet.com has good prices on Alpine freeze dried meals, but if you are happy with Mountain House then go for it.

On the survival sites, there are a lot of reviews of the Costco survival food kits. It looks like it's a matter of taste. http://www.utahpreppers.com/2008/11/review-costco-emergency-supply-kit-deal/

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
This is another topic that has been widely discussed but I'm too lazy to look for the threads.

Basically, store what you eat and eat what you store.
I am not a big fan of the survival foods. If you don't like stuff are you really going to eat it?

Here's a site with some information that can help you get started.

http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you are just looking for a month's worth of food, buy stuff you are familiar with and cover the food groups. The Costco kit is really pathetic nutritionally. Anyone who plans to survive on that will be very prone to serious illness pretty quickly.

Personally, I think it is more valuable to rotate foods we normally eat. Have enough stuff stored that does not depend on power. Remember that the big issue with canned and dried and any heat treated or cooked food is a lack of certain vitamins, especially vitamin C. So we always have live ferments available, which are higher in C and other nutrients than the foods that go into them....so only a small amount is needed daily for vibrant health.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll spend some time on the search feature to look up past threads and look up the links you all provided. And Dace, I guess when this last batch of boughten laundry soap runs out, I'll have to make my own before I have any to give!

And Freemotion, I haven't ventured into anything fermented yet but after reading about the kombucha, I think I will have to get serious about checking that out.

One step at a time!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, one step at a time for sure. But be forewarned....as you develop your ss fitness level, you will be running full speed ahead before you know it!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Store what you eat. It won't matter what you have on hand if no one is going to eat it because it taste like cardboard. LOL Sure if you are starving you will eat anything. But why torture yourself when it is so easy to store good food and keep your stock rotated.

If you are just starting out and in a hurry to put some survival foods up maybe a few packs for just in case. Then start working on your long term goal with foods you know you will eat and not only enjoy but will be good for you.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
An easy way to start is this:

When you go grocery shopping instead of buying one can of beans, buy two cans of beans. If they're on sale buy a bunch.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, just buy a little extra of what you normally eat. The last thing you want, when faced with a stressful situation is unfamiliar foods.

An extra 5 or 10 pound bag of rice, a few bags of lentils, beans etc are pretty easy to work with. Canned (homemade or commercial) chicken stock would be handy. Keeping an extra bag of onions and potatoes on hand is wise.

Know how to bake bread....even if you have to cook it over a fire, you could.

Learn how to can food if you don't already....you can make all kinds of healthy foods inexpensively that will store for a very long time and require very little heat to warm up.

One of my goals for next year is to put up more food. I am fairly new to canning and did not do much this year but if you lose power that full pantry can be a lifesaver!