Opinions wanted on emergency food storage products

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't do survival type foods or prepared for emergency foods.

Opening a can of "X" is just as easy as spending money on products I might never eat in my life due to "no" emergency.

So like everyone said to store what you eat is best. Extra cans or frozen items, or preserved foods etc will be a meal if needed for the future. Of course being your pantry is the best way to handle emergency stocked items. frozen can be lost. pantry items can stay a long long time.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I just had another thought. There are lots of Gift Jar ideas floating around on this forum. You can very easily make some up for your own pantry.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Going with all that has been said, I store what my family will eat but I do have a small storage of freeze dried foods also. I love the milk from beprepared.com (its a blue and green can with cows on it, it's tasty unlike most we tested) All of the veggies and fruits we have tried freeze dried have been really good also. We especially liked the Mountain house lasagna, tasted so good for what is started out looking like. We store several vegetarian MRE's and we have tried them all, we like them. When they get older we use them for a camping trip or hunting.
So do whats right for your family but freeze dried is A LOT more expensive to accumulate than stocking up on regular food items you already eat.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think everyone is running along the same lines here. Store what you like to eat. Maybe for your friends basket you could do the gift jars. One with a 15 bean soup another with a miscuit mix etc... Things she can store, eat and maybe get some ideas from. Hey maybe the Ball Blue book for canning. Things she can use as well as learn from.

Just a couple more ideas.

gina

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
WORD !

freemotion said:
Yep, one step at a time for sure. But be forewarned....as you develop your ss fitness level, you will be running full speed ahead before you know it!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Teaching her how to can would be a blessing.
You can get food dehydrators pretty cheap or at thrift stores. There are Mother Earth plans for making your own too.
Canned food is good as long as it's foods you would normally want.
Sprouting is a great solution for no garden space and still wanting some fresh food. Super high nutrients and grows in a week or less.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can't have our regular foods as "emergency food". My hubby and youngest son will EAT IT ALL. They do not yet get that them being too lazy to cook something is NOT AN EMERGENCY!!! :barnie

So I store beans and dried veggies. I do rotate them out and test recipes so I know how to make tasty food from my stash BEFORE I need them. SO far so good. Anything I want for long term storage HAS to be disguised as ingredients or it wont be around for long.

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We store what we eat for the reasons already mentioned. However, there is a side benefit to doing so... When you learn to "manage" your well-stocked pantry, you become familiar with everything that you have. I think think that knowing what resources you have at hand are important. We currently have about 3 months worth of food stocked up. I don't have to wonder if we have oatmeal at home. I "know" that we have 8 big canisters because of the amount of space that it takes up on my shelves.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can't have our regular foods as "emergency food". My hubby and youngest son will EAT IT ALL. They do not yet get that them being too lazy to cook something is NOT AN EMERGENCY!!! :barnie

So I store beans and dried veggies. I do rotate them out and test recipes so I know how to make tasty food from my stash BEFORE I need them. SO far so good. Anything I want for long term storage HAS to be disguised as ingredients or it wont be around for long.
Hey, WZ, an idea....go to the local drug store and ask for some boxes....get boxes from sanitary napkins, tampons, etc. Then store your tempting food items in these, and glue them shut so they look like unopened boxes that you are stocking up as feminine supplies! :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wifezilla said:

Hey, WZ, an idea....go to the local drug store and ask for some boxes....get boxes from sanitary napkins, tampons, etc. Then store your tempting food items in these, and glue them shut so they look like unopened boxes that you are stocking up as feminine supplies! :D
OMG! I am SOOOOOOO doing that! :gig :lol: :gig :lol:

I WILL WIN!