Ordering half a steer.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're buying a steer as well. $3.00/pound hanging weight + .85/pound for the cut&wrap. Splitting it with a couple other families. I'm really looking forward to it: grass-fed beef is REALLY expensive around here. Ground beef is almost $7.00 a pound! I am definitely getting my oxtails, and offal and all the bones and suet and fat that I can get from them.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Mmmmm.... You'll love it! I am so in love with cooking out of my freezer instead of going to the store!

Have you ordered your cuts yet? If not, you might want to check out the book Good Meat by Krasner from the library. I wouldn't pay the $40 for it to own it but if you can get ahold of a copy, it does a pretty decent job of explaining how to tell the butcher what you want from a cooking perspective. You might find it helpful. There's probably lots of on-line resources too but I really liked the cook's perspective.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Mmmmm.... You'll love it! I am so in love with cooking out of my freezer instead of going to the store!

Have you ordered your cuts yet? If not, you might want to check out the book Good Meat by Krasner from the library. I wouldn't pay the $40 for it to own it but if you can get ahold of a copy, it does a pretty decent job of explaining how to tell the butcher what you want from a cooking perspective. You might find it helpful. There's probably lots of on-line resources too but I really liked the cook's perspective.
I've been hitting the online cooks-illustrated explanations of roasts and steaks. But I'll see if they have that book at our library - thanks for the recommendation.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are getting our cow next month. We pay 2.29 handing weight. Pretty darn good in my book. Best meat I have ever had too. Will never go back to store bought for sure. Good luck to all and keep it local. :) Don

Another item next month is our lambs. Then we top off the freezers off with bacon, butter, chicken and ice cream.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a whole hog ordered for October - but I might split it with my neighbor. Best pork ever.

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We can get grass fed organic beef for $5.00 a pound hanging weight. The trim weight- bones and fat is about 20%. I helped the farmer butcher 10 cows and had a choice of cash or beef- so I chose both!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
MrBubblingbrooks said:
We can get grass fed organic beef for $5.00 a pound hanging weight. The trim weight- bones and fat is about 20%. I helped the farmer butcher 10 cows and had a choice of cash or beef- so I chose both!
:lol: Sounds like a good deal! We're seriously thinking of getting some beef this year. I've wanted to do it for years, just couldn't swing it. But, w/the price that beef is going for in the store now a days, it might not be a bad thing.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked up our steer/cow 3 weeks ago. We ended up paying 827ish for 420 lbs. all packed freezer ready and no storage cost. The guy was nice he gave it to me for 2.09 a lb and called it 400 lbs. I guess it helps when I send him 3-4 people a yr to get there steer/cow every yr. Next yr I know of 6 people order from him and will tell them I sent them. :) I'm sure I will get a good deal next yr too. I am thinking about being a food broker. We live on an island and I have to travel 190 miles to get our stuff. I always hit the farms on the way back. I have more and more people asking for things. The prices are half of what they are on the island. I figure if I can cover gas and lunch I will be happy. Aswell as help a lot of friends out. Good luck to all who buy and want to buy. It is well worth spending the money.