Ordering half a steer.

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I remember my mother boiling beef tongue for sandwiches. My dad loved it until he came home while it was still in the pot. We never had it again. :lol:
Happened just this way at our house too. I remember my mom peeling the fur off the tongue- not my favorite part of the process.:(

I have boiled heart and sliced for sandwiches, diced super small for adding in gravy or adding to ground meat for tacos, or when we make sausage. If my family doesn't know what they are having, they eat it and ask for more.

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make fresh venison heart stew and everyone loves it! It's such tender meat!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RudeKittyLuvsTesla said:
Happened just this way at our house too. I remember my mom peeling the fur off the tongue- not my favorite part of the process.:(

I have boiled heart and sliced for sandwiches, diced super small for adding in gravy or adding to ground meat for tacos, or when we make sausage. If my family doesn't know what they are having, they eat it and ask for more.
Well, I had forgotten about the 'fur' part of it! Anyone got a brain scrubber I can borrow??? :lol:

You got that right, though. My husband keeps saying that he doesn't like venison and wild turkey. He's had it many times at our daughter's house and is always surprised when we tell him later what he ate. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RockyToggRanch said:
fur? really? They don't look furry in the meat case :/
Just the taste buds. I thought the fur comment was pretty comical.
IF I remember correctly, the top looks kinda fuzzy when it's boiled. But my memory is pretty fuzzy, too. That was probably 50 years ago.

Egads, how'd I get this old?????

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Isn't it even cheaper, to raise your own,if you have the time and pasture...?
There was a thread recently on SS somewhere about raising your own grass fed beef..Three bucks a lb sounds high to me with all the bone and fat, no...? Four bucks a lb. with no bone and 10-15 % fat doesn't sound that bad, considerng you get all that bone and fat for the 3 bucks a lb price of half steer. I think Marianne has a valid point..I can see the benifits and savings though if you raise your own from a calf and bucther/package yourself.Everyone says how good it taste when you grow out your own calf on pasture..Just wondering if its really worth buying a half, you didn't raise yourself, as opposed to just buying it in the store ready to go..Doesn't really sound like alot of savings, i guess it all depends on what kinda deal you can find.FarmerJamie's situation sounds more cost effective, being they help butcher/wrap...

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
RockyToggRanch said:
DH brought home a package of burger the other day. He paid almost $4. lb :ep

That's it...we're buying a cow!

I've never bought meat this way. The farmer asked if I want the tongue and liver. I said Hell Yeah...if I'm paying for it, I want it. I have never cooked a tongue...but I don't mind the taste of mine..lol

I also want the fat for suet or rendering for soap...right?

and bones for my dog...or soup?

Any input is welcome....
If he is going through a butcher, they will help you get everything ordered. The good places have a nice list that you can mark down.

Here's a list from one of the places we get our meat processed.

http://www.maplewoodmeats.com/images/beef_and_pork_cut_info_sheet.pdf

Here's the other place we go and their sheet:

http://www.hoofweb.com/gillettmeats/beefproc.html

Also, ask them any questions you might have. They want you to come back, so they will give you ideas of what to get. Plus, if you don't think you're going to like heart and tongue, they will grind it into your hamburger and you'll never know the difference. Liver will probably come in a couple of packages and tell them to slice it for you. Most places will cut and package exactly how you want it, so you have the right thickness, the right number of pieces per package. Oh, and you'll probably get your hamburger in 1# packages. If you want your bones to make stock, make sure you ask them if you get them and what they cost. Some places give you them for nothing and some places will charge you the same amount - which is baloney.

They should give you your suet (liver fat). Ask if they will grind it for you. You can use the neck bones in soup. Oxtail, if you get it, will be sliced in about 3" long pieces. Hope this helps.

p.s. $3 isn't too bad, if it's based on hanging (butchered) weight and includes, cut, wrap, and flash freeze.

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We got our meat and have been pretty much pleased with it. It wasn't as much as we had anticipated (space wise).

Thank you all for the info! I'll know what I'm looking for the next time.

I'm really thinking about raising our own. After I re-home my daughters old horses, I'll have the room.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I think thats where you'll see the real savings RTR, makes sense if you have the pasture availbile to raise a steer.Of course if you butcher a wrap yourself, you'll really save..! Out with the horse, in with the steer...lol Poor horse, hope you find the ole' boy/girl a good home.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I raised mine just on pasture, best beef i ever ate.You don't need any grains.You will save allot if you butcher and wrap yourself as i do. Make sure you have an energy efficent freezer...! Don't really know how cost effective buying a half is, never done it. But it has to be allot more than growing your own out...