Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's amazing, when you think about it, just what clothing you actually wear consistently and what ones you don't. My mother has a whole closet packed full of clothes she buys at GW, but she only wears a few outfits over and over and over.

I keep encouraging her to change out but her mind wants those outfits each time....seems to me it's time to get rid of all the others, huh? She does that about 3 times a year...I call it "renting clothes from Good Will", as she just takes them right back to GW. :D

I wear my favorite clothes until they are worn OUT, then I have to struggle to find clothing that are similar and perform similarly to replace the favorites. If they ain't used a lot, they don't find room in my closet or drawers. I do a yearly clean out of that area but rarely find more than one or two garments that can be tossed that are still usable.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I live in jeans, so I tend to stick to whatever goes well with them. Usually very casual and comfortable tops and now and then something a bit prettier for when I go out. I cannot remember the last time I wore a dress or skirt :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can beat you there- I usually rock the yoga pants unless I'm going somewhere. Pants with buttons mean I'm going out! Haha, but some skirts I wear because they're mlre comfortable than pants. I have way too many clothes, a lot left over from when I was teaching that I can't bring myself to get rid of because I have so much money in them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! I tell the people that I work with that they wouldn't recognize me at home. I wear my 'chore' clothes until they are no longer wearable. One of my t-shirts managed to come up with a hole right over a spot that shouldn't be exposed on an old woman! I still wear that shirt - it just has a permanent safety pin in it now. Any 'new' short pants that I wear are often old long pants that get cut off. I'm too cheap to buy new clothes that are going to be so thoroughly abused!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me too!!!! I have a few work shirts that are so abused that my 3 yr GG will look at them occasionally and inform me, "Ganny....your shirt is broken." Just a serious little face and little pink finger pointing into one of the various holes and letting me know, just in case I didn't. :lol:

But, those shirts fit JUST RIGHT, so they can't go until I find some that replace them.

Girls, I have one pair of jeans I've had for more than a decade...those are for special occasions. I haven't worn them in a few years. I have one dress for even more special occasions, I've worn it once or twice in the past few years. I live in shorts and Tshirts in the summer, sometimes capris if I have to go somewhere decent. The rest of my life is spent in sweat pants...I have "good" ones and "work" ones. That just means some have stains and some do not.

All my work life I lived in scrubs, so didn't have an occasion to accumulate too many clothes....when I'm not at work, I'm working at home, so either scrubs or work clothes. I'm okay with that....I don't have a social life and I'm REALLY okay with that.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
"Ganny....your shirt is broken." Just a serious little face and little pink finger pointing into one of the various holes and letting me know, just in case I didn't. :lol:
Awww! :love

My ex used to wear his t-shirts to death, at home he'd be running around in shirts with holes in them on occasion and it happened to be one of those occasions when a (smart-ish) neighbour dropped in and found the man in what he probably considered inappropriate…. He dropped off a bag of shirts for him the next day :hide :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Awww! :love

My ex used to wear his t-shirts to death, at home he'd be running around in shirts with holes in them on occasion and it happened to be one of those occasions when a (smart-ish) neighbour dropped in and found the man in what he probably considered inappropriate…. He dropped off a bag of shirts for him the next day :hide :lol:

:D How sweet!!!!! :lol: I'm rather proud of my work shirts....they have a million different paint colors, grease stains and blood stains~all testament to my work life and what we get done around here. They are like the roadmap to my homesteading efforts and I can't imagine throwing my two best ones away....just too much history in those shirts.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Blood stains? Tell me about this "history"? ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some shirts that are 20 yrs old.:hide Still going strong. Plus a closet full of work dress clothes -- dresses, suits, pantsuits, evening wear....yeah, need to get those gone one day. They haven't seen any wear in over 15 yrs. At least they are still my size.:p

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband has so many holey shirts. Some are really bad! His problem is that he doesn't save any "decent" ones aside so he always looks like a bum! My parents buy him t-shirts for his birthday and Christmas every year.

Also blood stains are an issue...