Origin of Brocolli

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure some of you bright people already know this, but I didn't until today . . . .

I buy regular brocolli, not organic, most of the time because it is supposed to be a crop that isn't sprayed as much with pesticides. But I did a double take when I saw the box the brocolli came out of, when I was at the store just now . . . Hong Kong! :idunno I had no idea. I guess I suspected California would be more like it.

I put the brocolli back and bought organic instead.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Good idea. I was at WinCo today and broccoli crowns grown on the Central Coast of California were 88 cents a pound. Guess the transportation costs were low!

I used to live on the central coast, in a town which actually had crops growing in town, between Target and K-Mart! In the winter, it smelled like broccoli and in the summer, strawberries.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Even the brocolli from China was much more expensive than the CA produce you are getting! I think it was $1.99 lb . . . more for the organic, of course. Lucky you! :)

ETA: I say China, because I am going to assume there are no brocolli fields in Hong Kong.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
We are extremely blessed here in the San Joaquin Valley. Produce can be had very reasonably because agriculture is the mainstay here. Also, the maket I shop at is a west coast chain, and has great connections with farms all up and down the west.

I don't buy organic, as it is so over priced. That's just the reality of it!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey DM!

yep - someone just told me about the imported broccoli they saw from china. i know that its coming but wow i wish they'd hurry it up and have more country of origin labeling!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, it is quite a shock to actually see it on the box! I was vaguely aware that some of our produce is coming from that direction, but seeing it on the box really brings it home. I guess that is why they are dragging their feet, huh?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:th When my daughter was younger I'd give her apple juice once or twice a day, it was HELL on earth trying to find apple juice grown here in the states, it all comes from china!
(I think only the Juicy Juice brand was from somewhere in South America)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah . . . WA state used to be big into apple production, but they cut all, ok most of the trees down. :hit

Latest posts