Our dump finds

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I "picked" a recliner that somebody was getting rid of. It was not in the dumpster, so I thought it was probably fine. It had bedbugs. :ep
Lots of places are not wanting anybody to take used furniture now because they are getting common again.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today's find at our dump

100 mason jars. Alsorts of sizes and a few Altas jars with cover. OYEAH!!.
old bread box. nice olf wooden one
antique nightstand
3 metal folding chairs. for the party every yr
3 hand saws

This was a great find this weekend. :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
Today's find at our dump

100 mason jars. Alsorts of sizes and a few Altas jars with cover. OYEAH!!.
old bread box. nice olf wooden one
antique nightstand
3 metal folding chairs. for the party every yr
3 hand saws

This was a great find this weekend. :)
Ho-lee Cow! Those mason jars are a fantastic find. I can't even find them at garage sales around here.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It kills me what people throw out, when they could give it away. My DH tried to throw out his mom's silver sugar/creamer set, but I went out digging in the trash after I discovered he'd gone on a cleaning rampage, and rescued them. He's also thrown out his grandmother's jewelry.

But, let me just add, the mason jars tops all that!!! ;)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is amazing what people throw away.

Went to do another dump run today.

I came home with

unopen box of mason jars again
stainless steel strained and laddels new
dish strainer with price tag
A POOL TABLE!! NO crap A POOL TABLE complete table WOW!! Even if I don't use I'm going to rip the slate out of it. I can make a really nice sink with it. :)

A friend got a 52 projection TV works fine. :) HOLLY SMOKE!!! Helped him get his tv home in my truck and we went back to get my pool table.

Truelly amazing the waste we have in ouor society. I'm not complaining due to my treasures but WOW!!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Everytime I read about one of your finds, it makes me jealous! Best I can do around here is walk the dogs on garbage day. I've done okay with that but going to the dump would be so fun!

nananne

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have no problem with picking up at the local dump. We are visiting in Colorado right now and I do not know if we can. At home (in Ms) we burn our trash, do not take it to dump.
When working at the school there were always worthwhile things being trashed. I asked for a meat slicer that was replaced, but was told no. Lo and behold, one of the maintance men ended up with it. I cannot tell you the computers, printers, scanners,telephones ect that were discarded daily. :( :somad

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow our dump has nothing good like that......you are on an island right? geez, the stuff you are getting is wild cause you would think with the cost of having to get products/goods onto an island, people would be more 'thrifty' or something?? lol---I don't know I think of an island as more isolated in a way. Where goods are kept longer or something haha

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow our dump has nothing good like that......you are on an island right? geez, the stuff you are getting is wild cause you would think with the cost of having to get products/goods onto an island, people would be more 'thrifty' or something?? lol---I don't know I think of an island as more isolated in a way. Where goods are kept longer or something haha
That's the problem with the island you are either rich or fish. Even the fisherman are loaded. They waste a ton. Every 17-18 old has a new payed for 2010-11 truck. You go by our school and it looks like a new car dealership and people wonder why the kids here hate school. There making more than the teachers at 17. There's a lot of people who are frugal here but a ton that aren't. There waste is my gain I say.

I'm going to glote again I went back for windows for the greenhouse project. I figure I will build this one with old windows. BINGO!! 5 all the same windows. Also got another 3 boxes of mason jars, rain boots for my little one and a new mop bucket.

I have now descided I'm no longer buyig anything from a store. I'm going to make lists of stuff I need and get out of out take it or leave it building at the dump. I am goig to take the money I would have used to buy the stuff and put the money towards our mortgage.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow the fisherman are loaded...truly I thought they had it tough. I thought they could barely make their bills by the end of the costs etc. I just always heard it was a super tough industry.

am I in the wrong biz? forget farming and become a fisherman LOL

that was interesting to read tho...huh