Our Farm-2 Years Ago to Now

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WHOO-HOO!!! :celebrateI found pictures with the screens in, but not the gutter. Been fooling with the durn picture/computer to resize it for the last 30 minutes. :he But I did it!

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is where our portable building sits now. The wire slanting down to the right is a guy wire for an electric pole. The weeds were knee to hip high.

IMG1893.jpg

This was our 12'x24' portable building on the property we sold in Livingston. The soil is black clay and it had rained. It was slick, gooey, and I was in a panic because we had a man coming to load it up and take to our new place. Luckily the neighbor across the road had a bulldozer and he pulled it to the road for us, so the transport truck could load it up.

IMG2132.jpg

It looks like he was pushing it, but he was backing up. There for a moment, I thought it was going to slide off into the pond! That culvert is 7 feet tall, that creek flooded like crazy and the road into the property went under water on heavy rains until we got that gi-normous culvert, put in for us by the man on the bulldozer!

IMG2140.jpg

Made it to the gate!
IMG2141.jpg

On our way!

IMG2143.jpg

I didn't get a picture that day, but here is one from 2-25-15
IMG2164.jpg

And one from 3-7-2015.

IMG2208.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got so engrossed in looking at all these new pics and reading the captions it was like watching a homesteading show on PBS. Wow! Looks like a whole different place from when you moved in. You've done so much work that I was tired when I got to the end of this installment. :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1-24-2015 One night, while I was home and not at out new place getting it ready for us to move into, I was looking at Great Pyrenees rescue sites. My husband asked why and I told him that after we moved and got sheep, we'd need another GP. My husband continued to work for several months after we bought our home, while I ran back and forth. The very next day after we had a conversation about getting another Great Pyrenees, a man walked into DH's place of work with a 3 month old GP puppy. My husband bought him, gave the man our address and the man brought him to me. We named him Trip.

IMG2109.jpg

IMG2108.jpg

It was not the most perfect timing for a puppy, but opportunity presented and we were delighted with him. He was adorable. He fit right in with our other two dogs, Parker and Polly. Our Great Pyrenees Paris, just wanted to eat him.
IMG2116.jpg

Because of me being gone for several days at a time, poor Trip had to stay in the chicken run for 3 weeks. DH got him out every evening when he got home and played with him. Moving couldn't come fast enough! The day we moved, we had to leave Trip and Paris, plus the chickens because we just didn't have room for them. We moved on February 14, unloaded the next day on the 15th, and went back for dogs, chickens and more stuff the next day.

I took my car, DH took his truck and we loaded both up. It was raining, 38 degrees and nasty cold. I took Trip and DH got the chickens and Paris. Both dogs were blowing their coats, the inside of our vehicles looked like an explosion in a polyester fiber factory. We had to run the AIR CONDITIONERS for the dogs!

We had to put Trip on a chain until we got a pen built for him. We took him off the chain all we could when we were outside and brought him in at night so coyotes didn't eat him. We never let the other two dogs out without us being with them. Paris had the backyard and she didn't share. It was a huge relief when we finally got the front fenced! But Trip took to farm living like he was born on one.

IMG2168.jpg

IMG2244.jpg

One day I was walking to the chicken coop and the dogs ran up behind me. They didn't stop and plowed right into me. Down I went and I found out what "dogpile" really meant. They piled on me, delighted that I wanted to play with them. They licked me, stepped all over me and I couldn't get up. DH was no help, he was laughing too hard. I finally got up, spitting dirt.

IMG2285.jpg

Trip loved to play with our grand daughter.

IMG2317-1.jpg

I got more chickens and Trip got chicken lessons.

IMG2579.jpg

We got 4 bred ewes in November of 2015......Trip was not ready for them! He wanted to play.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It took a lot of time and patience to train Trip (and Paris too) to the sheep, but both are the best LGD's anyone could ever want now.
IMG_0967.JPG

Our daughter and son in law gifted us with 2 more grand daughters and Trip adores them. They are 2 years and 6 months old. Our first grand daughter is 9 years old. When I walk outside holding the baby, Trip presses up against my legs, "protecting" the baby.
Helper 3.JPG

Helper 6.JPG

Helper 4.JPG

We love Trip and can't imagine our farm without him.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
12-23-2015 The barn poles are set. Look closely for the cedar tree pole!

IMG2903.jpg

Then it rained. Flooded a monsoon. It rained so much and so hard that roads were washed out. Pictures taken 12-30-2015

IMG2909.jpg

IMG2911.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honey, I can't drive down the road without looking from side to side to see if there is something I can scrounge! :drool And, if I can't fit it in the car, I drive back to the spot in my van.
Man after my own heart! I have brought my husband "over to the dark side" BWA-HA-HA-HA!! He scrounges now too! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh my husband is a major scrounger but it all drives me nuts sitting there until we do something with it! He needs somewhere to hide it so I don't have to look at it!

Latest posts