Our Farm-2 Years Ago to Now

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One good turn deserves another. I like to find friends & neighbors who barter time as well as they do tangibles. It all works for me. Builds a community that can rely on one another.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One good turn deserves another. I like to find friends & neighbors who barter time as well as they do tangibles. It all works for me. Builds a community that can rely on one another.
I definitely find that's the way it works here. Sometimes it's quid pro quo and sometimes just casual "help a person (or household) in need". To me, what's important is to give & be open to receiving. That's the substance of real friendship—as distinguished from "friendliness" and "acquaintance".

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So good to hear your neighbor is now doing well also. :) He's become a part of your story now and we'll need updates now and then. :)

That fence looks fabulous. I get tired just working on the little better fences we have here. My dad would say (highest praise ever!) that it is a "good job well done" Thanks for sharing!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This picture is to the left of the house, if you are facing it. It was taken the day we closed. We had to take down the small oak and large pine to the front of the picture. It doesn't show in the picture, but the pine went up about 12 feet and split in a Y. It was where we wanted the carport and because of it's closeness to the house, we hired a professional to take it down. Then we had the stumps ground down.

IMG1872.jpg

This is the carport we had put up, picture taken 11-20-2014. We had to level the site with the tractor.

IMG1997.jpg

IMG1999.jpg

In the background of these pictures is now a fenced backyard from the corner of the house. In the second picture, walk through the carport about 50 feet back and there is the fenced horse pasture with a 12' gate. The next two pictures show part of the back yard fence and part of the horse pasture fence, plus the gate. These pictures were taken on 2-23-2015, nine days after we moved. It snowed!

IMG2157.jpg

IMG2158.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sumi, this is fun! Thanks for suggesting it! More to come, we're going to bed.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GREAT JOB!! :celebrate :clap

So, what?? Is it over now?? More episodes to follow?? o_O

I absolutely love to see people work....:lol: Are the new piggies in the old piggies field for now? Or have you begun a 2017 garden there?

One thing I would like to ask.......did you share the shoveling picture of your daughter with her co-workers ? :cool::lol:

OK. You take a break for a couple of days, then get back to it. I still have more snacks to consume while I look & enjoy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1-8-2015 Our place was a HUD repo. Not only did the former owners not make their payments, then never had garbage service and threw out everything they ever consumed on the property. We hauled off truckloads of garbage bags full of trash and crap we picked up. One Sunday, we hired two day laborers and they criss-crossed the front, picking up garbage. They dragged out not one but THREE sofas! There was so much metal that the laborers loaded up their truck with scrap metal, when they left the back bumper was about a foot off the ground. You name it, it was in there. They used bedspring units as sideboards and filled it up. They got paid to pick it up, we gave them $20 for gas to haul it off and they got to sell it and keep the money. There was over 1700 pounds. They were delighted with their good fortune. DH and I were slapping each other on the back, congratulating each other that WE didn't have to haul it off.

Redneck Landscaping.
IMG2065.jpg

What do you do with crapped out old sofas? Being as we had other things to do, we ignored them. Or maybe we proudly displayed them because they were right by the driveway--you couldn't miss them.

But then our Demolition Dogs decided to pitch in.....
IMG2514.jpg
IMG2515.jpg

IMG2516.jpg

IMG2517.jpg

IMG2518.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our Barn....First came the clean up.....9-5-2015

IMG2544.jpg

IMG2546.jpg

There were lots of dead trees on the ground from the 2011 drought. They all had to be cut up, piled and burned. We couldn't even run the bush hog in there until we got the tree trunks and branches cleaned up.

This tree stabbed the skyline and was dangerous. The limbs were so rotten that they could fall on anyone trying to cut it down, and it had to go. Fortunately, we had a storm and it blew down!

IMG2547.jpg

We hired our neighbor Russell and his friend Tim to build our barn, but first some standing dead trees had to go! This is Russell tying off a dead pine, the rope looped around another tree then was tied to his truck bumper, to keep the tree from falling on the fence. Our other neighbor, Robert came over to watch.

IMG2557.jpg

Russell's boys had fun.

IMG2560.jpg

Two weeks earlier, on August 24, 2015, my husband was released from the hospital after having a triple bypass, open heart surgery. He had to stand in the house, watching out the window as I went by with a load of branches or logs, on the tractor, taking them to the burn pile. He looked so pitiful, I was having all the fun!

He bounced back quickly and by October, the Doctor released him to drive again.....so he did. He and our neighbor Robert hauled pine shavings from a horse event center, he drove the tractor, and he helped me and Robert build a fence around the garden. Then we put 3 pigs in it for the winter. We finally got back to the barn site, having finished all the clean up. One side dropped off, so in November, we had dirt brought in.

IMG2824.jpg

BJ had a blast pushing dirt. After a couple of loads, he was tired and I took over. He knew when to quit, he was still getting over his surgery. This picture was taken November 25, 2015 At the same time, we had a contractor and his crew building our porch!