Our first frost of the Fall

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a chance of our first frost of the Fall tonight. There's not too much to worry about as the only things left growing in the garden are the Okra, Cucuzza, and a few peppers. I probably won't even bother to cover them.

I'll be planting garlic next week as our only fall crop this year. Speaking of planting, if anyone is interested in trying Cucuzza next spring, I'm going to try saving seeds. If they look to have turned out ok, I'd be happy to share them (PM me if you'd like some seeds). If they don't, I did find out that Baker Creek has them. I'd been looking in the squash area, but they have it listed in the Edible Gourd section as Cucuzzi.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yikes! we may be down to 40* but hopefully the rain will keep the cold off. i still have basil outside!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This year has been ridiculous...high 90's for months, then suddenly down in the 40's overnight...:/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep. Forecasts are for the 30's tonight and tomorrow night. We average our first frost in mid October, so this isn't too early. Plus we're in a small valley so we tend to be just a bit colder than the surrounding areas.

You are right though about the hot weather and then the cold, without too much mild weather between. We may even light a fire in the wood stove tomorrow morning. Yeesh! Starting this early, I may have to go split and stack some more to make sure we make it though the winter.

fancy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Low to mid 70's tonight here in FL. I MISS HAVING FOUR SEASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I' m soooooooo jealous!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Mabey up north-er. I know it's suppost to get cool here but frost? BTW do you plant cloves of garlic to grow'em or how dose that work? How deep? This is one crop I need to learn to grow! We go through sooo much garlic! I've got radishes now.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
yikes! we may be down to 40* but hopefully the rain will keep the cold off. i still have basil outside!
The rain today has been COLD!! BRRRRR!
I finally persuaded The Wife to shut the windows in the house today.

I hate menopause. :rant

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The temp here is in the 70s and the nights 40s
Just the way I like it.

But we usually get frost the end of Oct.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
The rain today has been COLD!! BRRRRR!
I finally persuaded The Wife to shut the windows in the house today.

I hate menopause. :rant
ha!

i had them all opened also and The Big Man went around and shut them.. and i opened them.. and he shut them. but then i went and asked if he was gonna make a fire tonite, ha! i cant make up my mind what season it is!!