Our meat rabbit journey has finally started!!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup
You are going to have a very nice set up!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:ep

What a great find.

:thumbsup

Is your "Pout house" where you go to pout?

:p
Not really, it's just a pet name for the feed/storage shed until she get's dubbed with her real name. Eventually, doc will be getting one of his own (for the Harley and his wood working equipment) and this first one will be all mine.

I'm not a pouter, fortunately, but if I feel one creeping up I just go out in the woods and get over myself! ;)

Hoosier,

We're excited but being smart and taking our time with this project as we have several others in the works right now, like getting our truck running again and starting on our cabin.

We weren't planning on getting into meat rabbits until next year but just couldn't let this deal get past us. :cool:

Dawn

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update since we're officially on our way to meat rabbits now. We weren't really expecting this project to get started quite this soon but when doc paid the last water bill, our guy let him know that his brother had some meat rabbits that he wanted to get rid of.

Doc's work schedule is arranged so that he gets one week a month off and this information landed in our laps just as this time off was about to happen. So we went to check the buns out, and I was hoping for two does and a buck but all he had for sale was three does, for $10.00 each. Told him we wanted them and would be back in a few days to get them.

We had about half of the lumber needed to build a shelter for the two cage set-ups so doc made arrangements with the neighbor to get the rest of what we needed and they did that early Tuesday (17th) morning. We started working on the shelter by 9:30 a.m. and had most of it completed by 5:30 p.m. but decided to quit for the day and finish it up Wednesday.

The south wall:

ry%3D400

North wall:

ry%3D400

Finished project:

ry%3D400

And last but not least, the girls:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

You can see pix of the entire building process in this album.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Very pretty does!!! Glad ya'll are getting started up, I have 12 growing out in the garage... :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Nice! I love those cages! We are hoping to do something like that but put it in the chicken run so they can clean up any feed that falls through. Right now we have 17 babies and 6 parent stock (4 does and 2 bucks) with 2 mamas nursing and 2 of the girls hopefully pregnant!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks BB and Lori! :hugs

The main reason that I opted for the 3 does is because the guy we used to get our rabbit manure from ($2.00 per 5 gallon bucket) can't keep it on hand right now and I'm over it...love using it in the garden and our new beds really need it. We've got the word out to everyone here that we're looking for a buck so :fl .

We're treating the smallest doe for ear mites (with baby oil) and she seems so much better after two days. The other two are clean but we're keeping an eye on them, just in case, since they were all living in the same hutch.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Glad I wasn't just dreaming the problem with those ears, I thought I saw something weird there. Yeah I am a rabbit manure addict/user sooooo good for the garden. Makes excellent mulch when it gets mixed with old hay and not mention the good manure tea it makes :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if youve got it on hand id do a dosing of ivermectin for the earmites and to take care of anything "hidden" (my experience has been if theres ear mites theres usually lice too)
otherwise looking good! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Pinky!

I was going to pick up Ivermectin the other day but didn't because I've never used it before and when I did a search on it, I ended up more confused than anything (which isn't hard to do). Should we get the paste?

If the wind ever dies down, I plan of giving them a good, all-over dusting of DE.

Gonna clean their poop trays here in a bit. Plan on putting a layer of leaf mulch down to help absorb the moisture and will dust that with DE, too. I used some sawdust in the trays the first time, then kicked myself because I don't want to put it on the garden since it's still pretty green so I'll add today's cleanings to the humanure compost pile, instead. ;)