Our meat rabbit journey has finally started!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got the Apple flavored Ivermectin yesterday and gave all the girls a pea-sized dose of the paste. 2 and 3 ate it up with no problem on grape leaves but #1 isn't looking so good and I'm really worried about her. Made sure to give her some fresh willow as an analgesic and some yarrow leaves as an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory. It was warmer than it'd been since we brought them home so I'm hoping that had something to do with it. :hu

Talk about a crash-course in rabbits...I'm second guessing myself on this whole project right now but it's to be expected, I suppose. :th

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
An old country vet gave us this remidy for ear mites in our dogs YEARS ago. Have since used it on everything from dogs and cats to rabbits and my donkey and everything in-between

1 part champo-finic (sp) you can get it at about any drug store and wal mart is where we get ours. Comes in a little green bottle.
3 parts mineral oil

We have a small glass bottle with a screw on eye dropper lid we use for it.

Have also heard to do the same with tea tree oil and mineral oil in the same mixture. But I have yet to use that one. But the first works VERY well. I use 2X a day for @ 3 days or so.

Eta:
I wish you were closer, I have a harliquen buck that looks very much like your does. Would have lent him to you.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know what you mean with the spelling on that first ingredient...I can't spell it either. We keep tea tree oil here and can get mineral oil from mom later today when we do our civlized visit (Mom got tickled when we told her our visits to her place were dubbed "civilized" but we explained she has a "real" shower and sh*tter, pretty civilized for us, considering we have a sawdust toilet :lol: ).

I wish we lived closer,too. Since we got the girls, no one is advertising rabbits locally and I'd love to keep the harlequin color going...doc wants a bunnny blanket. ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lost Number 1 sometime last night. :( Guess maybe she had more wrong with her or she's had the mites too long. :hu Burned the body since it's too dry to dig and I figured the fire would kill anything she had.

Would it be safe to use her litter (leaf mulch) from the poop tray in the orchard or should I burn that, too?

The other two girls are fine: clean ears, very healthy appetites, drinking plenty...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss!

ETA I'd say it is safe to use the mulch.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the liter should be safe in the orchard

id probably give good money on internal parisites given the ear mite infeciton (generlaly if theyve got ear mites thyve got "other" mites lice and wormies...)

*hugs* sorry you lost her.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Thanks, y'all! :hugs

I'm bummed but I know that I did everything that I could for her but it was probably already too little, too late so I'm not beating myself up over this. ;)

Got started sanitizing that cage today and will finish with the equipment tomorrow. Definately need to get a "hospital hutch" put together so I'm looking at this loss as " paying tuition". ;)

2 and 3 are still fine, so I'm glad I gave them all a pea-sized dose of the Ivemectin paste and will begin adding raw ACV to their water tomorrow at a dose of 1 teaspoon ACV to 1 quart of water, as a preventative.

Latest posts