Our Parker Is Gone

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wednesday, July 11, 2018 we took pigs to slaughter. Then we ran the trailer through the car wash where my husband BJ, washed it out. When we got home, I let Parker out to potty and I started canning chicken. BJ let Parker in several hours later and he laid down, panting as it was hot outside. As I cleaned up the mess in the kitchen, my husband called Parker to come get some chicken. He didn't move. BJ called again, then took the piece of meat to Parker. Parker politely took it, then dropped it. BJ called to me, "Something is wrong with Parker." Indeed, Parker never turned down food.

I got on the floor with Parker and did the pinch test on his skin. It stayed pinched up, a sure sign that he was severely dehydrated. We called the vet, who was about to leave on a farm call and would be out all evening. We made an appointment for 8:00 the next morning. We offered fresh cold water to Parker and he lapped at it, not with his usual tanking up like a camel, but lapping just a little. His eyes were dull, he tried to wag his tail, but couldn't lift it.

I mixed a sugar and salt water solution, 4 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water. I used a syringe to dribble it in his mouth a little at a time. I got about 10 CC's in him and offered him water again. I did this for awhile and let him rest. We ran down the list of scenarios that it could possibly be. Only last year he swallowed a hickory nut that lodged in his intestines and required surgery to get it out. We figured it might be something along those lines again.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/we-almost-lost-parker.35174/#post-471165

For the rest of the evening, I gave him the sugar/salt electrolyte solution, followed by all the fresh water I could encourage him to drink. We were terribly worried about him. But we were heartened by his perking up, wagging his tail and he went out to potty at 10:30. His kidneys were working ! Yay! His skin was doing better on the pinch test, so we thought he was doing better.

We were waiting for the vet to open the next morning. He weighed 111 pounds, up 6 pounds from his last visit. He was stress panting, the vet said he was still dehydrated and wanted to keep him all day and that night. They took him for x-rays and blood work. His blood work was all good, he had a fever and the x-rays showed nothing conclusive. The vet said he wanted to do a barium test. We left Parker and they put an IV in him.

That evening the vet called. Parker's fever was higher, he wasn't any better. The vet wanted to do exploratory surgery, he said he couldn't find what was wrong, but there was something going on and he was too worried over Parker to just leave him over night. We agreed. Hours later we received a phone call and the news was grim.

Parker had pancreatic cancer. A huge cancerous growth that was wrapped around his stomach and intestines. Parker's body cavity was full of cancer, his intestines were necrotic and pushed out of place by the cancer. I kept it together so I could make the decision I knew was coming. BJ was already crying. The vet said it wouldn't be fair to close him up, only to let him die in extreme pain in a few days. We agreed and through sobs and tears, told him to put Parker down. We told the vet we would pick Parker up the next day.

We fell apart. We went outside, both of bawling, and Trip came up trying to comfort us. When we left that morning with Parker, Trip tried to jump in the truck to go too. We had to lift Parker in the floor of the front seat, he was unable to jump in. Trip knew something was wrong. I promised him I would bring his buddy back to him and that everything would be alright. Now, with Trip nose bumping me and BJ, trying to comfort us, we really fell apart. We couldn't bring his friend back to him.

Parker came to us on December 26, 2011. Our beloved old Labrador, Danny had died in our arms the week of Christmas and we were devastated. Our daughter, son in law and grand daughter came for Christmas and the day after, they went to the local animal shelter and adopted Parker for us. My husband was off that day, relaxing in his PJ's. They called me at work, I went home and we surprised BJ. It was love at first sight.

img026-jpg.3970

img027-jpg.3968

We named him Parker. He was a perfect fit for us. Parker was very smart and wanted to please. He hiked his leg in the house, that first day, I scolded and hustled him outside. He never again did that. Instantly house broken. He wound around our hearts in a short time. He was a big playful puppy, he got along with Polly, our inside Australian Shepherd and he got along with Paris, our back yard GP. Parker was such a joyful dog. He adored our grand daughter and let her do whatever she wanted to him. This picture was taken 2-11-2012

img074-jpg.3967

The animal shelter claimed he was a 6 month old Labrador. However, Parker had a very un-Labrador curve to his tail, he kept growing and growing, surpassing the size of any Labrador we had ever seen. We did an internet search of large dog breeds crossed with a Lab. When we looked at pictures of Lab/Great Dane crosses, Parker jumped off the screen, there he was. We looked at picture after picture that looked just like Parker.

He was brilliant smart. A few words, show him what I wanted, and he got it. he made me look like a real dog trainer! After learning voice commands, I taught him hand signals. Our grand daughter adored him, and he adored her right back. I taught him to play hide n' seek. He loved it, he got the game. I'd cover his eyes, she ran and hid while I counted, then I told him to go find and he took off. They played it over and over.

img263-jpg.3977

In March of 2012, my 88 year old Mom had a stroke. She had to learn to walk again, but she dug in and did her therapy so she could go home. She wasn't home long before she fell and fractured her pelvis. Back to rehab, then she came to stay with us awhile. Parker was so worried about her, he knew something was wrong and wanted to help. I had to get her up, into her wheelchair, take her to the bathroom, leave the wheelchair at the door and help her to the toilet. It just killed Parker that he couldn't be in the bathroom too! This picture taken 5-31-2012. Look at that worried face! What love in his eyes! Our bathroom doors were only 24" wide. :he What a dumb way to build a house. Later, Parked figured out how to squeeze his big self under the wheelchair and proudly joined us, licking Mom's knees. THAT didn't make her very happy! :lol:

img202-jpg.3976

Parker grew to be a big boy. He loved to get in the recliner with BJ, lay his big head on BJ's chest and snore. When he got in my lap and snuggled down for his nap, his back legs hun off.

img475-1-jpg.3980

My Mom wound up moving in with us. At BJ's insistence, I quit my job to care for her. Parker made her laugh. Polly, our Australian Shepherd was self appointed to make Mom pet her and would nudge Mom until she complied. Mom had never been much of a dog person, but she loved Parker and Polly. Parker was quite the clown.

img704-jpg.3981

Parker took naps with our grand daughter. 12-28-2012

img722-jpg.3986

He loved baby chicks.

img735-jpg.3988

He helped me stake tomatoes. 6-3-2013 What a goofy dog! Such a joy!

img1065-jpg.3990

BJ came out to help.

img1070-1-jpg.3991

Time rocked along and on 9-23-2014, we closed on a doublewide on 8 acres-just 8 miles from our daughter, son in law and grand daughter! Over the next few months, I went back and forth, painting and putting down new floors. A fence had to go up for the horses and a neighbor came to our rescue and got it done. He also fenced a yard for Paris.

One night when I was home, I scrolled through pages of Great Pyrenees on rescue sites. DH asked why and I told him we would need another GP soon for the new farm. The very next day, a man came in DH's place of work with a GP puppy for sale. He and Parker quickly became friends.

img2113-jpg.3992

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally moving day came on February 14, 2015--our 19th anniversary. We rented a U-Haul and got some help to pack it up. Our son is a crane operator and his job had just ended. He came to help and drive the U-Haul. Parker was confused, watching men take stuff out of our house and pack it up. Our son opened the truck door for something and Parker jumped in. He wouldn't get out, he didn't know what was going on, but wherever our stuff was going, he was going too! Eleven days later, at our new place, it snowed. The dogs had a blast.

img2164-jpg.3993

Parked loved the farm life. He did everything we did. He followed the tractor, he helped with the fence, supervising to make sure we did it right. Here he is with Trip, helping us build the Hawg Hut. 10-28-2015

img2687-jpg.3996

The day we closed on our old house 2-11-2015, and sold it, we hurried to the hospital 2 1/2 hours away. We got there 45 minutes before grand daughter #2 was born.

11-21-2015 Parker is on the job, watching over the baby. He loved her so much and always kept a close eye on her.

img2796-jpg.3997

He played King of the Mountain with the girls.

img_1444-jpg.4000

On 9-1-2017 we received the gift of grand daughter #3. As soon as she was big enough, she crawled straight to Parker. He was delighted. I love this picture of him giving her a gentle lick on her forehead.

img_1815-jpg.4003

GD#3 loved Parker and made a beeline for him every time she came over. 7-27-2018

img_1942-jpg.4004

When the little girls were outside. Parker was right with them, watching over them. 10-5-2017

Attachments

• 1FDB8741-80A5-4297-A8A1-4FA65AA8FE9B.jpeg
    1FDB8741-80A5-4297-A8A1-4FA65AA8FE9B.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 930
Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally moving day came on February 14, 2015--our 19th anniversary. We rented a U-Haul and got some help to pack it up. Our son is a crane operator and his job had just ended. He came to help and drive the U-Haul. Parker was confused, watching men take stuff out of our house and pack it up. Our son opened the truck door for something and Parker jumped in. He wouldn't get out, he didn't know what was going on, but wherever our stuff was going, he was going too! Eleven days later, at our new place, it snowed. The dogs had a blast.

img2164-jpg.3993

Parked loved the farm life. He did everything we did. He followed the tractor, he helped with the fence, supervising to make sure we did it right. Here he is with Trip, helping us build the Hawg Hut. 10-28-2015

img2687-jpg.3996

The day we closed on our old house 2-11-2015, and sold it, we hurried to the hospital 2 1/2 hours away. We got there 45 minutes before grand daughter #2 was born.

11-21-2015 Parker is on the job, watching over the baby. He loved her so much and always kept a close eye on her.

img2796-jpg.3997

He played King of the Mountain with the girls.

img_1444-jpg.4000

On 9-1-2017 we received the gift of grand daughter #3. She crawled straight to Parker. He was delighted. I love this picture of him giving her a gentle lick on her forehead.

img_1815-jpg.4003

GD#3 loved Parker and made a beeline for him every time she came over. 7-27-2018

img_1942-jpg.4004

When the little girls were outside. Parker was right with them, watching over them. 10-5-2017

1fdb8741-80a5-4297-a8a1-4fa65aa8fe9b-jpeg.7898

View attachment 7898

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
June 4, 2018 with grand daughter #3. She loved Parker never got enough of playing with him.

3F02AD6F-EBB6-4746-9F42-AE33F44B2F3E.jpeg

We just didn't see it coming. I asked the vet if Parker had been in pain. He replied that he had to be. But Parker never showed it. He was happy, bouncy, full to the brim with life and loving every minute of it. On Sunday, July 8, 2018 we butchered chickens and Parker was right there, catching chicken guts as I tossed them in the air to him. He sure did love chicken guts and we are glad that he had that day to enjoy himself to the fullest. On Monday and Tuesday, he was fine. Wednesday evening, he was definitely sick, but we didn't know what it was. Thursday morning we were at the vet's office, Thursday night he was dead. We just didn't know, he never told us and we had no idea he was so ill. Friday we picked him up for burial. Our dear friend and neighbor Robert, came over and dug Parker's grave, then came back and helped us bury him.

We are sorely missing our friend, our boon companion, our love, our best buddy. When we got home with him, Trip walked around the truck, nose in the air. We dropped the tailgate and Trip jumped in the back of the truck. BJ opened the bag and let Trip see Parker's face. Trip carefully sniffed all around the bag, then sniffed Parker's face. He jumped down. We cried some more at the sadness of it all, stroking Parker's face and saying our goodbyes.

He was only 7 years old. It wasn't his time. It just isn't right that he should be struck down in the prime of his life. He gave so much of himself to everyone. He had more love in his heart than any dog I have ever seen or had. All he wanted was to be close to us. Our approval, affection and love is what he lived for.

This picture was taken in March. I was sitting in the dirt, working on the garden fence. Parker was helping by laying as close to me as he could get. I took this picture of the love he expressed in his eyes, what ever did I do to deserve such love and devotion?

E3ABBFBB-9F53-4F4B-87ED-EA96E43721C1.jpeg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay - I am so very sorry for your loss. These guys worm their way into our hearts and leave a huge hole when they leave. He was a very lucky dog to have ya'll in his life. And in turn ya'll were lucky to have had him for the time that you did. It was too soon. No explaining the "why." My heart hurts for you and BJ. :hugs:hugs:hugs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our oldest grand daughter cried when her mother told her about Parker. She said she never wanted another dog. Our Daughter had profound words of wisdom, she told her, Parker came from a shelter. Those dogs in the shelters need us as much as we need them. Parker had a good life, much better than being euthanized as a puppy.

She is so right.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It's amazing how these critters sneak into our hearts.

Condolences

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah you made me cry! (I am not a crier!)

So sorry you lost him. What a lovely life he had. And how much better he made yours.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Baymule, I'm fighting the tears here myself! What a wonderful dog he was and so young. I'm so sorry you lost him. R.I.P. sweetheart and thank you for the love you brought in your short time on earth.

Bay, thank you for sharing his story and those wonderful pics :hugs

Latest posts