Our patch of earth

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would file unemployment like, yesterday. it takes a month or more to get it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like things are tight, but you have a good attitude, that alone will carry you through a lot. Hang in there and thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing.

Reice

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been a few weeks, thought I'd just write, cause.. yeah... quarantine, lol.

I think the day I wrote the previous was the day the stepson's college closed, along with the dorms. So the 20 y/o moved back in. Three adults in an 840 sqft house, fun times lol, but we're making it work.

Hubby's work told them to go ahead and file unemployment, and we did so. Looks like it went through, even reclaimed the past 2 weeks, just waiting on the debit card in the mail. Wow, with the amount plus the stimulus, looks like we'll be bringing in more than we were earning. This is crazy! I won't complain.

Still quarantined, yet the hubby is still making runs to town. He is the one braving the stores. Even going so far as to get items for people that shouldn't be going near them. I think he has a tougher time staying at home than I do, haha. Me, I'm an introvert, a former latch-key kid, a homebody. I was made for this!!! lol

Everything seems to be just working in our favor lately, little things here and there, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude right now. Seriously about to make me cry. The kindness other people are showing is amazing, and is restoring my faith in humanity even more.

An extra little surprise was yesterday my parents said my little tiny camper was ready, so we picked it up last night. It is cute as a bug!! You wouldn't even believe it was once a popup camper. Dad had fun working on it and it has kept him busy for the past month they've been self-quarantined. I've got it parked about 100ft from the home up the hill by the electric pole. This introvert has herself a she-shed!! Like I said, it's tiny, but has a full size bed and a dinette set, electricity, an A/C, and some storage spaces. It'll be my saving grace when this small home gets a little bit crowded. The husband already joked that he won't be able to find me cause I'll be out there, haha. He might be right, I think the internets wifi reaches out here, haha.

Here's hoping everyone out there is taking precautions and staying safe. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad things are working well for you. This national situation has people experiencing things from one end of the spectrum to the other. Very trying for many.

Yes, those who are in the self sufficient groups are generally in a far more prepared place than many....with food and supplies, at least. It's a way of life rather than a happening. But most are concerned with income & bills to some extent.

Working together, most will make it through this. Sounds like you all are ok for the most part. Lot of people are cutiing back and stopping unneeded wants. Good to see you post.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have no problem being at home all the time either @Reice, i also have no problem living in small spaces. i've lived in an attic for years at a time. no problem. basement, sure, but i think i liked the attic better... :) here it is a small house but me and Mom get along well enough. we joke at times about either of us living in the shed or in the crawl space... :) the crawl space is actually pretty nice (it's where the heat and the AC is at :) ) - just harder to get in and out of there...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you checked in and let us know how you are doing. Congrats on the she-shed, it can be your get away place, a place of peace and serenity. We all need that!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have one too... it contains my sewing corner, my knitting supplies, and my seed starting station. The only thing it's missing is music; I lost my speaker for my phone, whose volume by itself is pretty anemic.

Reice

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How is everyone doing? We're still kicking here.

Having a hard time finding seeds/plants. To be expected with what's going on. This was going to be our first year trying it for real when this stuff hit. Wish I had a few years to get it going good and have some seeds saved up, but it is what it is. So far we have onions, potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, and watermelon. Will probably just try saving seeds from stuff we still buy and throw it in the ground and see what it does. :)

Still waiting on unemployment, think this is week 5. Is okay, the stimulus did come through. Helps things stretch when you already had expenses cut to the bone. Actually, it was enough the hubby has been able to buy some things to work on the house. So it's all good. :D

Been hanging out in my she-shed quite a bit. It's really been my haven. My aunt surprised me with a tiny retro looking mini fridge which is awesome! It didn't have one. Cold drinks, AC, wifi, loving shih tzu.. what more could ya want? lol

The weathers been warming up quite a bit. We've really been testing out the cooling without AC in the house, as we don't have any AC installed yet. On warm days we let the cool air in the mornings come through, then trap it in when the sun starts warming up, lots of fans. One day it went up to 95 outside. The inside was on the warm side, but tolerable. Shorts and tank top, cold drinks, cool washrag if needed, lots of fans. This Friday is slated to reach 104 though, so we'll see how fast hubby gets those window units in by Friday, haha. Otherwise, it'll be she-shed to the rescue!!

Hope everyone is staying safe an remembering to smile often! :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I find that I acclimate to heat well. DH (who works in AC) is the first to cave. Give yourself time, it takes 2 weeks for your boy to adjust to heat. If you must use the AC, keep it at 90 or so, so you don't lose your heat acclimation. You'll have a more comfortable summer and lower electric bill this way!