Our patch of earth

Reice

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find that I acclimate to heat well. DH (who works in AC) is the first to cave. Give yourself time, it takes 2 weeks for your boy to adjust to heat. If you must use the AC, keep it at 90 or so, so you don't lose your heat acclimation. You'll have a more comfortable summer and lower electric bill this way!

Good point. Feel like I have been getting used to warmer temps already. When at my daughters house to watch the grandbabies while she works I have to constantly up the temp. On the flip side, I am of the age where hotflashes hit sometimes, so the option to cool off when needed is a concern. We did get one unit put in 2 nights ago at the east end of the house, in the kitchen. Not opposed to that at all as it does get mighty warm in there when cooking. Still have lots of fans running. Getting to where I prefer the air moving with warmer temps then the ice box feeling and not as much air circulation. Slowly but surely. :)

Unemployment came through. And we are now one of those that are bringing in more with unemployment than from employment. Feel like I'm waiting for the catch. >.>

Here is where my mental gymnastics is taking me. As of now, there is more income coming in. On one hand we can save it up and have a fatso emergency fund. On the other hand what if the value of the dollar goes way down, inflation goes way up, you can no longer buy the things you may need anymore, etc. Do you sit on dollars today that may be worth more purchasing power and are able to still get items that improve your place? Or what happens when things open back up but the job isn't there anymore because people still are avoiding going to places and business can't keep employees or go under, a fatso emergency fund would be needed. My head goes back and forth. How are you guys feelings with this?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Using or saving? that is a good question. Seriously consider if there is something that you NEED.

Do you need a freezer to store the meat you are raising to butcher? Good use of extra funds in my book.
Do you need to buy an air conditioner for the bedroom so you can sleep at night? Good purchase in my book.
Do you need to buy the 72" TV to watch football on or new gaming system? Not a good purchase in my book.
Do you need a pressure canner so you can fill your pantry with homegrown goodness? Good purchase.
Do you need a new tire on the car because you are driving on the do-nut? good purchase.
Do you need a complete set of the Night Court on DVD? not such a great purchase.

The money is being sent out to promote spending and supporting the economy. Please use it wisely, wether you decide to save it for a rainy day or go a little wild and splurge on something you need..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We haven't gotten any stimulus funds yet, but when DH was still working, this was our 10 Year Plan:
First thing we did was get debt free as fast as possible. Then I looked around and took care of things that reduce my monthly expenditure as much as possible (better lights, garden and greenhouse, learning to live without air conditioning, getting a wood stove for heat, etc). Then I worked on building up a Deep Pantry. Now I'm working on infrastructure again- reducing our reliance on gas and electric as much as possible.

Don't get into a panic if you can't take care of everything that needs doing right away; unless you win a big lottery all you will be doing is stressing yourself into an early grave. Have faith in God and in yourself.