Packaging birds.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey guys, I usually only do about 5 birds at a time but this year I am doing 100 or so chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, how are you preparing them to freeze? What are y ou putting them in ?
Thanks
Brian

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use the shrink wrap too. The directions on them say to place in a pot of hot water or use a heat gun. I used my hair dryer, finally found a use for it. It takes longer than a heat gun but was much cheaper and already on hand.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I might have to try those can you only order them online?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Usually just ziplocks here, but I am gradually doing a lot more in the jars......

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
beerman said:
I might have to try those can you only order them online?
Thats the only place I've. Been able to find them. I also have turkey sized ones too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes I ordered mine directly from the web sight. I use the boiling water method. The trick is to be sure to twist them up tight and dry the plastic before adding the label. The label is used to cover the puncture hole/ air escape.

Last time I ordered them the turkey bags were all sold out. So after I posted the link I ordered some more of both for myself. A good thing to have on hand I think.

Barredbuff, I have been canning boneless I can get on sale cheap. Have you ever canned with bones?

g

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seems that everyone has forgotten that a whole bird has a pretty good sized body cavity. Useing just the shrink wrap that cavity will be full of air, but then again who cares if the inside of the bird freezer burns? Well I do so I use a device that sucks the air out while I use a heat gun to slowly shrink the shrink wrap bag. The heat gun is 1500 watts and is the same one that I use to heat strip old paint. The vacuum device is something I found in the supermarket made to pull a vacuum on zip top storage bags.

One point that was mentioned in the reference, Be sure you let your birds 'rest' overnight in a cold place to allow them to dry and the tissues relax. If they are stiff before freezing they will be tough when you thaw them! ~gd

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ive never had the insidde of a bird get freezer burn. You can also let the bird rest after thawing. It works either way.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Poultry shrink bags have worked wonder for my birds. No more freezer burn. They add a bit to the over all cost but worth their weitght in gold. My vacuum sealer died so I opted for these instead.

g

http://poultryshrinkbags.blogspot.com/
I saved that web site to my favorites! I haven't butchered any birds yet, but I have put it on my agenda. (We live on a small lot smack in the middle of our small town and I have 8 hens in the backyard) I will get my feet wet by butchering a few to start with before I dive in the deep end and I will need good bags to keep me afloat while I am swimming around in butchered birds! :lol: