Pah! $1,000 for a coyote hunt! Baby, we could be rich!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Here's the dog that sticks around my chicken coop... Had to post a pic after seeing one of wildsky's westeren Coyotes. New research was found in Vermont and most of our Coyotes are mutts, bred with the eastern wolf. They are larger than western coyotes but smaller than wolfs. I guess a more correct term is coy wolf?

8_001.jpg

8_002.jpg

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe thats actually the Mutt Coyote, Coy-Wolf.

They're talking about Coyote Hunting up here, but our coyotes aren't that large. IMO, there are a lot of ignorant farmers who think coyotes are eating their sheep when in reality, as most hunters know, its more than likely Coydogs. Coyotes for the most part don't run in large packs as farmers have been describing, its Coydogs that do and those things are nasty! Its not uncommon for a Coydog to take down a goat, sheep, or even a horse if they need to but Coyotes, normal ones, aren't so daring.

We have coyotes that hang out in the back pasture that Jim owns and they yip some nights, but wouldn't dare venture onto the property. The stupid deer however have been coming through the thicket and scaring the crap out of the horses lol. We have a bigger problem with actual DOGS out here -_-

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
There is a lot of evidence that as the Western Coyote migrated into the northeast it has bred with wolves and a new species/subspecies of coyote has come into being, the Eastern Coyote. DNA testing, appearance, and behavior all show that the Eastern Coyote is a coyote/wold hybrid. They are larger, the heads and jaws are larger and have wolf characteristics and they run in packs and hunt similar to wolves.

This isn't to say that coydogs don't exist, they do. Just saying that the Eastern Coyote is real and has wolf characteristics and behavior.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But one of the neighbours shot at some "coyotes" that were bothering the other neighbours sheep, as it happens its actually a Coydog lol. We had coydogs in Saskatchewan, nasty little varmints and its totally not uncommon for Coydog hybrids because so many people leave their outdoor dogs out on tethers (unfixed, I might add lol).

They're still not coyotes though, they'd still be a coyote hybrid which of course doesn't hunt like a coyote and isn't the same size as a coyote. Even if it were these big huge Coy-wolves, the farmers are still not dealing wth a coyote problem.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
The authorities on classification are trying to figure out the Eastern Coyote. So far as I know they're still being classified as a coyote.

Maybe Occamstazer knows.