Pain After Eating Bananas

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
This is really weird, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing. It seems when I eat very ripe bananas (when I can actually choke them down..not my favorite), I get pain in my jaw (the joints) and my chest (which might be my esophagus). Does anyone know what causes that? Very yellow bananas don't seem to cause it, but the ones that are really ripe do. It's awful! I dont' know why I continue to eat those ripe bananas, probably because I don't want to waste it.

It can't be an allergy if it doesn't happen every time, can it?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have absolutely no problems with bananas. It’s because I don’t eat them, never have, never will. Not even as a baby, usually one of those first foods out of a baby food jar. My mom said I refused to eat it. I loathe, hate and can’t stand bananas.
Bananas stink, are mushy , disgusting and taste terrible. Yuck. I’d just as soon eat a pile of dog vomit. No banana bread, pudding, no banana anything. I won’t even make banana pudding for my husband, I refuse to handle, peel or cut the vile smelling things. Shudders up my spine. Ick.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't hold back -tell us how you really feel @baymule! :lol:
Of all the brave and crazy things in life that @baymule can deal with that leaves me shuddering at the very thought, but a banana scares her? :lol:

Now I have the perfect weapon to defend myself from her ;)
Stick em up baymule :fl

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
An intolerance or allergy can cause weird symptoms like that. As for bananas being good for you...not exactly.

Celery has more potassium than a banana, and bananas are loaded with sugar.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Huh. That list explains why I react to bananas as well as wheat. Nothing severe, but too much banana bread can have me breaking out in hives. Tomatoes were also on my intolerance list when I had my allergy testing, but I eat them anyway :D If I don't eat them with wheat I seem to be fine.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi redridinghood! I see this is your first post.

I think too, that sometimes your system just starts to have a sensitivity to stuff that you had no problem with for years prior. My mom ate cucumbers for years, now she says that her mouth kind of burns when she eats them.

I'm lucky, no reactions to anything except a few years ago, I started itching like mad after taking penicillin for an abcessed tooth. Dentist told me not to take it ever again. But chow? I can eat whatever I want.

Interesting about the bananas.