Pain After Eating Bananas

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
This is really weird, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing. It seems when I eat very ripe bananas (when I can actually choke them down..not my favorite), I get pain in my jaw (the joints) and my chest (which might be my esophagus). Does anyone know what causes that? Very yellow bananas don't seem to cause it, but the ones that are really ripe do. It's awful! I dont' know why I continue to eat those ripe bananas, probably because I don't want to waste it.

It can't be an allergy if it doesn't happen every time, can it?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about if you make a smoothie with those ripe bananas? Or banana bread?

Why in the world do you eat way too ripe bananas??? :p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
glenolam said:
What about if you make a smoothie with those ripe bananas? Or banana bread?

Why in the world do you eat way too ripe bananas??? :p
Smoothies don't cause the same issues. And they're not way too ripe! They're mostly yellow with only some brown spotting on the peel! The one I just ate only had 1 bruise on the actual banana!

I have a love/hate relationship with the evil things. Sometimes they look so good, but most times I have to choke them down. I feel like I should eat them because they're good for me. :rolleyes: But I love banana pudding. :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would advise listening to your body. If you do not like them, and are aware that you will need to choke it down, just to not "waste" it, don't.
That pain is telling you something important.

I am careful with kids this way too. If they are not doing it to cause a scene or be naughty, and a certain food is revolting to them, then there is a good chance that a sensitivity is happening.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I would advise listening to your body. If you do not like them, and are aware that you will need to choke it down, just to not "waste" it, don't.
That pain is telling you something important.

I am careful with kids this way too. If they are not doing it to cause a scene or be naughty, and a certain food is revolting to them, then there is a good chance that a sensitivity is happening.
Ahh, the voice of reason! :hugs I will stop eating them then. It's so stupid, I know..I just feel like I needed to. :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
An intolerance or allergy can cause weird symptoms like that. As for bananas being good for you...not exactly.

Celery has more potassium than a banana, and bananas are loaded with sugar.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Try telling that to my mother who made me sit with scalloped potatoes in front of me for 4 hours! :sick :gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Try telling that to my mother who made me sit with scalloped potatoes in front of me for 4 hours! :sick :gig
Hmmm, that might be different :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
glenolam said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Hmmm, that might be different :lol:
Sooooo, how's a mother to know with kids either 'inhaling' or 'exhaling' the foods, if it's rebellion or sensitivity? Mind you I do have boys and with them it's 'either/or'..... :lol: