Paleo diet help?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Finally seen a Dr after 10 years, had some blood work done and came back with some high numbers. Cholesterol was 234 (should be under 200...not too bad) and triglycerides was 291 (should be under 150...maybe a problem). Dr of course recommended meds, I said NO :tongue . So now I'm thinking about this Paleo diet thingy.
In checking the web and searching here, as I understand it, I'd pretty much just have to cut out grains, most dairy products and of course all processed 'stuff'? I don't have a problem with cutting the processed stuff but I do love my grains & dairy. It won't be impossible to cut these either, just uncomfortable unless I can have 1 day a week as a free choice food day? I would think 6 days of being good would be better than nothing, but looking for others ideas on this.

I should add here that it wasn't a detailed test. And this is the site I was looking at and checking it's 'food list'. www.paleodietlifestyle.com

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Start with cutting out all the processed. Then cut out the grains by bits. I'm not a big believer in sudden huge dietary changes. Your body has too many things at once to which to adapt. Plus you have to learn an entirely new style of food preparation.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Finally seen a Dr after 10 years, had some blood work done and came back with some high numbers. Cholesterol was 234 (should be under 200...not too bad) and triglycerides was 291 (should be under 150...maybe a problem). Dr of course recommended meds, I said NO :tongue . So now I'm thinking about this Paleo diet thingy.
In checking the web and searching here, as I understand it, I'd pretty much just have to cut out grains, most dairy products and of course all processed 'stuff'? I don't have a problem with cutting the processed stuff but I do love my grains & dairy. It won't be impossible to cut these either, just uncomfortable unless I can have 1 day a week as a free choice food day? I would think 6 days of being good would be better than nothing, but looking for others ideas on this.

I should add here that it wasn't a detailed test. And this is the site I was looking at and checking it's 'food list'. www.paleodietlifestyle.com
If you are able to get good dairy, I would advise not giving it up.
Honestly, your numbers may not be bad at all.
WZ will chime in shortly with the science stuff on that.
But I will mention this. Only 5% of people that develop heart issues and cancer, have "high" cholesterol.
If you force it to be lower, either by diet or drugs, you are actually doing your body a disservice.
Cholesterol is our first aid kit, and what all our hormones are made out of, never mind that a brain that is deprived of cholesterol cannot thrive.

And, believe it or not, eating cholesterol cannot give you high numbers.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
Start with cutting out all the processed. Then cut out the grains by bits. I'm not a big believer in sudden huge dietary changes. Your body has too many things at once to which to adapt. Plus you have to learn an entirely new style of food preparation.
Yes. And, learn how to make sourdough!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
That's next on my list. Get a good grinder, wheat, and learn to sour dough.

Which, btw, is ALSO easier in Loveland. The person I know who has fully mastered Colorado sour dough and grinds his own wheat lives there.

WOOT!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My diet could be paleo if it wasn't for my love of quality dairy! LOL

Your triglycerides being high IS an indicator of potential big trouble. The cholesterol level really doesn't tell you squat unless you had a special test that measures particle size.

Paleo is a great way to go except for one thing.... honey is paleo. Sort of. Don't abuse it!!!!

Getting rid of processed foods is a great place to start. Also making sure you have no vegetable oils in the house except for olive oil. But really lard, tallow and coconut oil are best.

I wouldn't worry too much about ditching dairy at this point. Grains are your enemy though. Either eliminate them all together or learn proper ancient prep techniques like those outlined in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB...if you mean good dairy as in raw....NO dammit :rant and I did try to make sourdough once. It tasted kinda like a big soft soda cracker. It was good, just not what I was aiming for. I don't think it was warm enough in the house at the time for it to work. I do plan on trying to make it again one of these days.

Abi....I do have wheatberries, my grinder is a blender and has worked well, see above about sourdough :p

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WZ....yep I use alot of EVOO. I did use alot of canola for along time, but when we ran out DH bought corn oil :smack I hadn't used corn oil in many years. Lard will be on the shopping list. What about bacon fat/grease? I do save that & use it in alot of cooking too.

ETA....any changes in diet will be made over time & NOT all at once. I'm really not too worried about this, but I think it really wouldn't hurt. In fact, going Paleo(ish) would probably help with alot of other issues too. Including brain cooties/depression, kids behavior & school, DH's 'other self' :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Canola is crap. Toss it. Bacon grease is awesome. I use it to cook greens.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
WZ....yep I use alot of EVOO. I did use alot of canola for along time, but when we ran out DH bought corn oil :smack I hadn't used corn oil in many years. Lard will be on the shopping list. What about bacon fat/grease? I do save that & use it in alot of cooking too.
Tank up on the saturated fats for cooking/eating. Add in coconut oil if you can. Raw, extra virgin.
Try to use your EVOO cold, or if you have to heat it, keep the temp as low as possible.