Paleo diet help?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
I haven't eaten a "cooked" nut or seed in ages. I prefer them raw. They don't mess with my system any more than anything else. I have IBS anyway so ... how I would I notice?!?!
:hu
For starters these are not actualy cooked ;)
Symptoms? Well, your IBS is probably caused by modern preparation, or non preparation of food.
Grains, seeds and nuts are the biggest gastric stressors of any food out here, besides processed dairy.

A clean diet, with proper old fashioned preps, and you will most likely find your IBS will be a thing of the past.
Fermented veges would also be a nice addition to rebuilding your gut.
Simple one is sauerkraut, eaten raw.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I digest the soaked and roasted nuts MUCH better and I didn't know I wasn't digesting raw well. LOL!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right, the nuts are dried till crispy at a lower temp keeping them in a raw state. I like to mix soaked dried nuts with soaked toasted nuts to make nut butters. I like the way they taste toasted but need the nutrients of the 'dried/raw' nuts.

Here is a journal of my paleo journey. (Remember a clinical dietitian, a plumonologist and a cardiologist recommended this diet for my severly sick (as in she died for 10 minutes and came back to life) daughter. For us, it isn't just a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change.) http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8156

I cut out coffee and drink herbal teas, raw Jersey milk and water. My daughter is only allowed to drink water b/c of a paralyzed vocal chord, but she gets the raw dairy occasionally mixed into other foods, like ice cream (frozen bananas, cocoa powder, coconut milk or raw dairy) or kefir/yogurt.

I used to get heartburn after every meal. Gone.
I have way more energy than I've had in a long time.
I feel bright and awake now, no foggy head.

My daughter hasn't been sickly since she came out of the hospital...she has always been a sickly child. (Out of the hospital almost a year now, and exposed to a ton of stuff ie school etc.)
She is more active than before.
Her recovery was long, yes, but not as long as once thought by her doctors.
Her mental abilities have improved so much, she will probably attend all non-special ed classes next year. (She was in normal classes before her brain insult.)

Don't get stuck on the "Paleo rules" as everyone has a different opinion. There are even "raw Paleos" out there, consuming an all raw meat diet, with very little (if any) veggies. Bottom line, legumes, grains and modern day dairy products are very hard for most people to digest. In my daughter's case eating what I once thought was a healthy diet (veggies, fruit, whole wheat, brown rice, low fat milk and lean proteins etc.) was killing her. Simply omiting the commercial dairy products, grains and legumes and amping up the healthy fats has changed our lives dramatically.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm gonna use mayo and pickle relish in order to eat tuna.

I'll try soaking nuts and seeds but really do love the taste raw.

Will cut out the coffee and drink green and herbal teas.

Hard part will be cutting out my morning cereal and goat milk. And cheese. What do most of you eat for breakfast? Besides meat?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Try soaking steel cut oats over night in whey and then cooking them in cream for breakfast. MMMMM!!!

I cannot do it too often, but it's super yummy.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You might not have any problem with your goat milk. We did cut out dairy for the first month, but added it back to see if it was a culpret. Thankfully, raw jersey (or other heritage breed), goat or sheep milk is fine for us. We are lucky to get our raw Jersey milk from grass fed cows.

The dried nuts still taste raw. (That is why I add soaked, toasted nuts to the nut butters. :p)

Find mayo (or make it) that contains no soy. I buy 'spectrum' canola mayo when in a pinch. WZ has a recipe for bacon grease mayo...YUM!

(Check your relish too, often times it contains soy too...for whatever STUPID reason. :rolleyes: )

You can make a nice soaked (chopped) nut and dried fruit granola cereal for breakfasts. :)

Oh, we eat a serving of organic potatoes once a week. So we don't feel too deprived. (With a big serving of pastured butter, raw cheddar, chives etc.) (A serving for us is a small potato, not a huge one.)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
For what it's worth my IBS symptoms went away when I switched to a modified paleo diet.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do love my goat cheese! The batch I made yesterday with lime and apple cider vinegar is delicious! The flavors I did two weeks ago (one raspberry, one peach and the 3rd was vanilla with honey) were great too.

Maybe I make, freeze, and eat when I'm straightened out.

But there's a huge hurdle: will-power.

I have none.

Latest posts