Pallet boards

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just found a pallet company not too far from us where we can get pallets loaded with their scrap. The one we got today was loaded about 4 ft high with boards that are half inch by 4 inch wide. 2-3 foot long. I am going to use a lot of them for building rabbit and chicken pens. But could use ideas for other uses for them. We can also get 2x4 about the same length. No nails so we can use the scrap for kindling.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180813_121455.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woohoo! What a jackpot! @Beekissed built a really cute playhouse with pallets, and I built a fence to keep chickens out of my new flower garden. Those were built with pallets, but I'd think you could easily build a 2x4 frame, and just use the wood. That would be great wood for building a swing. And I used 1/2 a pallet nailed to a wall to keep shovels and hoes corralled neatly in one spot. And I could think of a lot of crafty stuff to do with kids if I had that kind of wood.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Raised beds in the garden?

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pallets are the best. On a small scale, they're great for crafts! Larger scale? The possibilities are endless! They're great for firewood, nest boxes, raised beds as sumi said- you name it

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just used a few last night to make a larger space for the turkeys to get out of the wind since they are getting too big for the nursery coop.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a pallet fence around my zucchini and potatoes to keep my free ranging chickens out. And a second pallet fence to close off an area where I keep new animals in quarantine until I add them to the rest.
I tacked a pallet to the wall, and use it to hold all of my shovels, rakes, and long handled tools corralled neatly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Fencing and gates.....great, tough but lightweight wood for fencing and gates. What a great opportunity!!! The hardest part about working with pallet wood is getting the pallets apart, but you have them already apart, which is half the battle.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
pallet corral for tools

DD has this -- was my pallet, she borrowed. :D

The hardest part about working with pallet wood is getting the pallets apart

Amen to that. They can be a problem.

I don't mean to be picky for free stuff but, some are just better than others! The wood and all. I like to stack hay on them. We stack DDs firewood on them, to keep off the ground.

Latest posts