Pallet projects and inventions

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've seen some really great things made from pallets, anything from chicken coops to planters to furniture. Let's see and hear about all your inventions and creations? I'm going to be on a bit of a budget once I moved and I want to play.

Saw this and thought it was a pretty cool space saving idea for small plants/raised beds:

pallets.jpg
10384678_10152614156739400_2728051322096943201_n.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is my pallet project. It doesn't look like that anymore but it is my chicken coop mostly made of pallets.

0822141639f.jpg

chicken coop1.jpg

Actually it was my idea but my hubby's work...You all know how that goes... He took every pallet apart using a salsaw.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you are fond of pallets, consider buying one of these tools. I've coveted one of these for years. @Beekissed recently struck paydirt with some super pallets. Looking forward to seeing your pics of progress on your project, Bee. (hint, hint, hint!!!)

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...ajBMhQtvjs4XKE8YeQGZTf7hmAbOzWwhoCT_MQAvD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UBesGoo-...hguid=09b6ed1f-f6e-16c2907cea6564&athena=true

Oh....pics! Of course! Got just a handful of these mondo pallets from a sheet metal place, but have rented larger trailers and have borrowed my sons to get many, many more of them. If I had to guess how many they had I'd say around 60 or so....and they get them in more and more all the time, so I can go get those also if no one else starts getting them before I can.

These were an answer to prayer, as I have been praying about fencing for the sheep and in a quandary how I would manage to build it cheaply, as I prefer to do all things here if possible. Well, God answered....BIG time. :love :celebrate :weee :love Praise His Holy name!!!!! :celebrate

They will be used for sheep fencing, though they would likely hold in elephants just as easily :D if they were wider. They are 10-12 ft. long and 4-5 ft wide, constructed of 4x4s and 1 in. boards or 1 in. plywood. They are used to move bundles of sheet metal around at a sheet metal place about 15 mi. from here.

We'll also use them for rafters in the pole shed we are building onto the wood shed and also be used in building my permanent sheep barn and paddocks. Both sons want to use them to build ground blinds as well, but if we continue to get these, the possibilities of what we will build with them are pretty endless.

100_1887.JPG
100_1884.JPG
100_1885.JPG
100_1886.JPG

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That coop represents hours of work!!!! VERY nice job!!!

Here's my pallet project this year...it took around 12 pallets to build and I still have a lot of the pallet frame/studs in my lumber pile, so more materials for building left over. LOVE those big pallets...they are the best! No hubby to do the build, so it's not as nice as most other pallet projects I see. That slide was on the curb in the trash and the tin for the roof was in one of Dad's old lumber piles we cleaned out this summer.

All lumber besides pallets was reclaimed...found in the trash, brought home and screws removed. The screws were reused on this project and others. Built her table from an old bedstead we had here and that kitchenette was at GW for $10, as was the chair, pans, utensils, apron, etc. so the whole project cost around $40.

In these pics I was still not quite finished with it but have since finished filling in walls and trim and adding a little set of deer antlers above the door, a keyhole for her key, bedazzling some places so the sun shines on them and sparkles and a few other decorative touches.

100_4971.jpg

100_4959.jpg

100_4961.jpg

100_4958.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4976.jpg
    100_4976.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 240

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Rented two 12x6 trailers from Uhaul today to haul home all those pallets. Most were nice, but there were also some that will have to be deconstructed before they can be useful.

Made 3 trips with those two trailers to haul them all back...unloading was the hardest part. Pallets stacked 7-8 ft high in these trailers, all of different builds and construction, so kind of got tangled in among each other.

My back hurts, my shoulders hurt, smashed my finger so that hurts, cut my leg.....but I'm not going to complain about any of that, as I have 6 stacks(plus those I already brought home) in my yard of really good upcycling material. God has blessed us richly!!! :weee :celebrate

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses :lol:....

We saved them for 6 months, piling them neatly hear the build site. There are 2 kinds of pallets. We found that the larger ones work better for what we were doing so it took us a little longer to collect them. We will double that coop next year so the pheasants have a good home and they will have good chain linked area to run. Each kind being kept separately.

We have found pallets on craigslist, facebook groups, in the paper, and driving along the road. Love seeing the sign, 'FREE PALLETS", ALONG THE ROAD. This was a very cheap project...The doors and windows were in a discount bin at a lumber yard somewhere and the metal roof was used and free....Even the cement pylons that the thing sits on were almost free....I think the linoleum floor cost the most....So for the nest stage of the project I found that home Lowes has it for 99 cents all the time....

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... my hubby really doesn't have great skills. When we first got married he told me he only can do rough wood working and he doesn't do toilets....:bow I will keep doing the toilets if he keeps doing these rough wood working things.....:thumbsup

:lol::lol::lol:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but maybe we can revive it. There are some great ideas on here! I have a whole pile of pallets sitting in our back yard just begging to be reused!

Meanwhile, we made raised beds out of old wood boxes that were used to ship wheels for Army humvees... the smaller boxes are getting painted. They were also used to ship wheels for Army vehicles. We're always looking for things that can be repurposed.