PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I figured I might as well start a journal. I have so many things that I want to ramble about and I do not want to start a separate thread for each thing so here I go!

I am 29 years old. Married my highschool sweetheart. I am pg with my 6th child. I have 4 boys and one girl (so far). My boys are 13, 11, 9, and 6. My DD is 3.

I have 15 Black Jersey Giant hens....two BJG roosters...and one other laying hen.

I would love to own a small farm and raise more animals. I would also love to be completely self sufficient but, most days that seems like an impossible goal. But, I enjoy each step I take toward meeting that goal. I love hearing new ideas!
My kiddos think everything I do is cool...DH just thinks I am going overboard!
There is a link to my blog under my username.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My first rambling....I think I have changed my mind about getting milk goats right now.....which DH was very relieved to hear. (But, I have not completely given the idea up. ;) ) I am thinking I would like to raise turkeys instead. I have raised Broad breasted bronze before and loved it. But, this time I would like to have a small flock and keep a couple of breeder pairs so that I can continue to raise my own without having to buy new peeps every year.
Then get my goats once we get a bigger piece of property.
I also think I am going to make a more conscious effort to look for a bigger piece of property since land prices seem to be going down.

I have 23 Coturnix quail eggs in the 'bator and I am hoping to get several to hatch then keep them for a while and hatch many many more and let them go in my yard. My goal is to hatch and release 100 of them this next year! I pass a house every week that has an empty rabbit hutch sitting outside that I am going to stop and see if they will give it away...or sell it very cheaply...so that I can put the quail in it.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
So glad you started a journal. It really is a great place to ramble and also you can look back later and see what your thoughts were at a certain time, when you actually started something and finished.

Tell me why you want to release 100 quail every year. Did I miss something somewhere else?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
do quail do well with being released after being hand raised? just wondering,,,,I have no clue?

yea, true self sufficient is almost impossible nowadays unless you want to live with no power, no conveniences in life. I do...HA HA.......then again, if super rich, you can buy true self sufficiency..hmm..wierd huh?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I want to release the quail because I think it would be cool to have them come in my yard. I have raised pheasants and released them and they came around the yard for a long time. I still see them every once in a while and it has been a few years since I let them go. I also think of it as my way of populating the wildlife in my area. I am not sure what else to do with the quail. The eggs are really tiny and would take a ton of them to make a decent breakfast and I only want to keep a few that I have to feed day in and day out.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I entered the Dec egg swap on BYC. I did not want any other chicken eggs or duck eggs. So, that is how I got the quail eggs. I really wanted some guinea or turkey eggs but no one that was participated had that kind. So, I will have to try again another time. I did not want another type of chicken because I would like to keep my BJG pure and not mix them and I do not want to have to have 20 different pens to keep the birds all separated. We have two ducks now that we have had for a LONG time and they are pretty much useless so I did not want more duck eggs....therefore I ended up with quail, something I can raise and release.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is really cool your pheasants are hanging around and are having offspring. good deal!

quail eggs are a delicacy aren't they? I never priced them but I believe they are high dollar.

well I hear ya...if quail ain't your thing, then releasing them into the wild is a wonderful thing to be doing once raised!! giving back to nature.....then go about getting those turkeys to raise! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hey, PP! That is pretty neat about the released pheasant. I saw quail eggs for sale for eating/cooking going for $5 - $8 /dozen. Are you sure you want to release them? :)

We only have the one JBG hen in our chicken flock, but we really love her temperament.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Hey, PP! That is pretty neat about the released pheasant. I saw quail eggs for sale for eating/cooking going for $5 - $8 /dozen. Are you sure you want to release them? :)

We only have the one JBG hen in our chicken flock, but we really love her temperament.
Hmmmmm.......It looks like I need to start looking for a buyer!! I would probably have no problem selling the quail themselves though.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My mom and I are very close....
Tonight my mom has her final weigh in for a weight loss contest! She has been in the lead or in second place most of the weeks of the contest. It was a 12 week contest. It was $30 to participate and she thought there was 22 people....but now the $$ is not adding up to be 22 people so she is going to ask tonight. If she wins first prize tonight she will win $187!! The winner wins 50% of the sign up $$. The leader is not supposed to make any $$ off the sign up fees according to what she said. The leader is an herbal life sales lady and talks up her products every week so that is how she is making $$.
So I am hoping my mom wins tonight!!! She has lost over 30 pounds in the 12 weeks!! Go mom!! She is looking super good too!! She went from 248 pounds to around 212 on her scale at home before she left to weigh in! (Don't tell her I told you her weight!!;) )
My mom keeps teasing me that if she keeps losing weight and I keep gaining weight...which I am obviously doing...that she is going to weigh less then me pretty soon!! (Which has never happened all of my life.) But, I keep telling her that my weight is going to drop suddenly in Feb so she does not have a chance!

Latest posts