Pancake syrup?!? What's on your pancakes?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
hoosier said:
I use either locally made hickory or maple syrup, or lemon and sugar.
You can make syrup out of hickory? Do you tap them like maples, and how does it taste?
i think WannaBeFree made some hickory syryp this past spring.......if I remember correctly....

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The shagbark hickory syrup tastes (to me, at least) a lot like maple syrup, but with a bit of a smokey flavour.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I had birch syrup when we were in Alaska. It was different but really good.
We have made it, but with its 1-100 ratio, its a real pain!
Once we get an outdoor woodstove set up, we will do it again.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I serve my pancakes with peanut butter and jam...really thick peanut butter and globs of jam...mmmm, if you haven't tried this, you're missing out!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I serve my pancakes with peanut butter and jam...really thick peanut butter and globs of jam...mmmm, if you haven't tried this, you're missing out!
MMMM, thats how I like my corncakes too :drool

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
welp, I'll confess, I'm the oddball out here - as I love Log Cabin syrup and I don't see that changing :p Ya'll just pray for my heart and arteries, etc. etc.

My pancakes are usually a short stack slathered in butter, sometimes have confectioner's sugar sprinkled on top, and then drowned in Log Cabin - unless I have the real maple syrup on hand

Yumm-o!!

I really like it with a cream cheese icing/filling in between pancakes...

ok now I'm hungry...........

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm determined that next year we will have real maple syrup, if my maple tree will cooperate! I tried it this year and thought I was so smart to put the sap in the microwave to boil down a bit...it exploded. So much for sneaking in shortcuts, huh.

This discussion reminds me of when I used to work at an elementary school cafeteria. We had pancakes for breakfast and the kids got all sticky with syrup, and it was picture day. So the idiot principal decided to ban syrup for the rest of the year! The students were outraged and complained hugely. So I ask the principal what we should do, because even parents were calling to complain. She still refused on the syrup thing, it's too sticky, too messy, etc....but then she had the brilliant idea to give them...honey.

I could not believe that someone could have actually become principal and yet still couldn't realize that honey was also sticky.:rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm sometimes amazed at who makes it as an educator. :/